Entry Door with a built in retractable screen?

briboyFebruary 18, 2008

I live in a condominium complex and need a new front door. The association does not allow storm doors at all. I am wondering if there anyone has come across an entry door that has a retractable screen built into the frame. I have to install a threma tru door model S236 but if I can find a similar door that will not change the asthetics of my nieghbors door, I am sure it will be approved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

Just do a Google search. There are plenty of these you can fit onto your door. There's no reason you need to buy a door with the screen.
Ron

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 12:34AM
jrice

"The association does not allow storm doors at all". Just wondering why that may be? Perhaps a screen door just will not fit without some modifications to the jamb or it is an inside hallway door. If you have a screen door at least when you open the door there is still a barrier between you and who ever may be there. Suppose you jerk that door open and there stands the bad guy eye to eye, now what do you do? I consider the added safety value of a storm door to be as important as the the original intent. Maybe you should consider approaching the HOA with some questions and suggestions about you and others safety. Perhaps they have a very sound reason for the rule. if not they may be willing to change.

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 11:43AM
coolvt

Normally the association wants to keep the appearance of all the units uniform. They figure 1/2 with storm doors...probably a mixure of colors....and the other 1/2 without storm doors would look pretty bad. The rules vary from association to association. Some are very lax and some extremely strict. I think you are stuck with reading the association rules and either living with them or trying to get them changed.

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 11:26PM
deseverns

Check out breeze doors. Very expensive but beautiful. I dont want to spend that much on a door but they are amazing. Built in screen.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 11:44AM
musicgal

Phantom screen does a retractabe that is pretty much invisible when not in use. Easy to find online.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 11:47AM
saltidawg

"Just do a Google search. There are plenty of these you can fit onto your door. There's no reason you need to buy a door with the screen."

ron,
Can you link to one?

This post was edited by saltidawg on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 15:24

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 2:34PM
millworkman

6 year old post by ron.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™