I hafta thank someone

imraineyDecember 11, 2010

...for suggesting binding clips.

I'm sewing on a binding this weekend and even when I was working in close quarters in a moving car I was not getting stuck. They hold the binding down beautifully and securely. Even the miters are held in perfect alignment. And the thread doesn't get stuck on them as I sew my way around.

I am really grateful for the suggestion. Thanks so much!

PS Couldn't find them at LQS or Joanne's. Had to get them at the drugstore in the hair styling section but WTH, I gottem and they're great. ;>

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ritaweeda

I needed some once and couldn't find them at Joanne's, so I looked at Walmart for bicycle clips and couldn't find any, so I went to Lowe's and bought a set of hand clamps that men use to clamp together pieces of wood, etc. to glue them. There were different sizes of them. I use the big ones to clamp the backing, batting to the table to hold them in place to layer the quilt top evenly. The only problem is I happened to tell DH about them, now 2 of them are missing for one of his projects, somewhere out in the dreaded garage environment, will I use them again? - NOT!

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 9:49AM
toolgranny

binder clips work as well and they are at the office supply stores.

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 10:43AM
imrainey

Not sure I was clear. These are little hair clips that are lightweight, take up no storage space, hardly have any profile to get caught on anything and spread the pressure very effectively so that they don't leave a mark.

This is what I'm referring to.

I also use bulldog clips to hold the sandwich securely to the table until I baste it down. I guess they'd work to hold bindings in place for the hand stitching but the above are ideal.

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 1:31PM
love2sew

I was wondering if these were the hair clips or something special from a quilt shop. I need to get some as I am always taking pins somewhere with me. Thanks for the topic.

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 8:02PM
lafonda_ranch

Ohhhh! My dd might end up missing some of her hair clips, now! I knew of the clamps for the table. I like the hair clip idea better than pins. I get so tired of being poked!

Bookmark   December 15, 2010 at 8:19AM
quiltingfox

Had not thought at that. Great idea! :-) Thanks for sharing.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   December 15, 2010 at 2:51PM
nanajayne

When I read the thread earlier I laughed because I had the feeling everyone was on a different wave length.
I have used the hair clips for several years and love them as well. They do have them for sale in some of the quilting shops.
Jayne

Bookmark   December 15, 2010 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
Need advice on batting and a little help with Houzz
I have only made two quilts, both small ones, and have...
donna_loomis
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
damascusannie
Would you mind sharing your links for the old Singer...
csackett
QOTD - Re-posting others' pictures
Is there a rule, or convention, or prohibition against...
loisflan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™