Question about Permitting

seadwellerOctober 30, 2013

Greetings,

We bought a home earlier this year, and took out a permit to do some fairly extensive remodeling. The home has an inside laundry room that was built without a permit, and I'd like to have that space recognized in the official square footage of the home.

I probably should have permitted that during our remodel, but it completely slipped my mind, and we're at the end of our construction. The space was created by simply installing a framed wall to close off the back portion of the garage. The home was originally built with the washer/dryer in the garage, but the slab is level with the rest of the house, so there was a step down in the original garage. I removed the wood paneling on both sides of the framed wall, installed insulation, and new drywall and plaster. The framing would comply with current codes.

Is there a way to somehow permit or officially have this space registered in some way so as to be included in the total living space?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

I what way would it be included in the living space? Are you talking about the tax assessment? Do you want to pay more taxes? What is the advantage of getting a permit other than for selling the house later. If that is the issue, you can just draw it and give it to the building department and get it approved.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 7:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

Leave sleeping dogs lie.

Garages are not habitable space.

The municipality you live in will have required minimum standards for covered off-street parking. Should the wall impede that, do you really want to remove it.

Creating a separate enclosed space has required light and ventilation requirements, do you meet them.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Open or closed floor plan into dining room?
We are in the process of doing a home addition off...
betshsu
House remodel
Well I got the numbers for the remodel of my 1950s...
buckeye_11
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
What to do with fireplace/bookcase
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™