Strengthen Floor Joist Ends

bbcommunicationsFebruary 4, 2009

My 1st floor joists rest on a center steel i-beam. The joists overlap and rest on the beam but there is no bridging where they meet and many of the joist ends are cupping which creates an uneven floor along the center of the house (dipping). I looked online to see if there were small inexpensive jack screws that I could put between the joists but I really didn't see anything that would seem to work better than putting wood cut to size to prevent further cupping. I am not interested in bringing the joists completely vertical, just some insurance against further cupping.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

How old is this house?
Simple solution would be to drill through both joists and insert a 1/2" carraige bolt. Put a few 5/8" washers on each end and tighten the bolts. Make the hole the bolts are in a little oversized to compensate for the beam distortion. Tighten the bolts over a week or two to cinch the joists together. Then install some blocking to stabilize the connection.

    Bookmark   February 4, 2009 at 8:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Are they cupping or tilting. Cupping is from wet wood drying out. I doubt they will cup any further.
I would simply install 2x of matching width tight between them.

    Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 9:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks folks:

This portion of the house was built in 1969. There is only one joist at the very end of the house that I would consider having a slight tilt, all other 2x10s look square along the entire span except right at the ends over the main beam.

The current state of the joists look to have been in this position for years since there was a major kithcen renovation 10 years ago that worked around the floor uneveness at the center line of the house but I wanted to make sure this didn't get worse.

Thanks for the ideas!

    Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 11:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You could use one of the screw-type car jacks (not a hydraulic one, you can't use them sideways) to put a bit of pressure on to tilt them back the right way, then measure and fit your blocking. It'll have a bit of bite that way.

    Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 1:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you cut solid blocking the right final size and bevel one end you can drive it into place with a block of wood and a big framing hammer.

    Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 6:02PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
Cellulose Insulation - Do we really need the blower?
We have 8 to 10 packages of cellulose insulation that...
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
Sponsored Products
Pink US State Map Customizable Print
$18.99 | zulily
TKO Training Wheel - TKO-AW001
$15.99 | Hayneedle
Sisal Walnut Brown Rectangular: 4 Ft. x 6 Ft. Rug
$109.00 | Bellacor
Woodard Arkadia Sling Dining Chair - Set of 2 - WD1483
$995.99 | Hayneedle
Sisal Brown Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$169.00 | Bellacor
Stamina Fitness Accessories & Supplies InTone Plus 38 in. Trampoline 35-1632
$59.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™