Strengthen Floor Joist Ends

bbcommunicationsFebruary 4, 2009

My 1st floor joists rest on a center steel i-beam. The joists overlap and rest on the beam but there is no bridging where they meet and many of the joist ends are cupping which creates an uneven floor along the center of the house (dipping). I looked online to see if there were small inexpensive jack screws that I could put between the joists but I really didn't see anything that would seem to work better than putting wood cut to size to prevent further cupping. I am not interested in bringing the joists completely vertical, just some insurance against further cupping.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

How old is this house?
Simple solution would be to drill through both joists and insert a 1/2" carraige bolt. Put a few 5/8" washers on each end and tighten the bolts. Make the hole the bolts are in a little oversized to compensate for the beam distortion. Tighten the bolts over a week or two to cinch the joists together. Then install some blocking to stabilize the connection.
Ron

Bookmark   February 4, 2009 at 8:24PM
joed

Are they cupping or tilting. Cupping is from wet wood drying out. I doubt they will cup any further.
I would simply install 2x of matching width tight between them.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 9:04AM
bbcommunications

Thanks folks:

This portion of the house was built in 1969. There is only one joist at the very end of the house that I would consider having a slight tilt, all other 2x10s look square along the entire span except right at the ends over the main beam.

The current state of the joists look to have been in this position for years since there was a major kithcen renovation 10 years ago that worked around the floor uneveness at the center line of the house but I wanted to make sure this didn't get worse.

Thanks for the ideas!

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 11:30AM
pjb999

You could use one of the screw-type car jacks (not a hydraulic one, you can't use them sideways) to put a bit of pressure on to tilt them back the right way, then measure and fit your blocking. It'll have a bit of bite that way.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 1:23AM
mightyanvil

If you cut solid blocking the right final size and bevel one end you can drive it into place with a block of wood and a big framing hammer.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™