Paying off a credit card with another at 0% interest?

heidihoOctober 19, 2002

Has anyone paid off one credit card using another that offers 0% interest for 6 months on balance transfers? I'd like to do this but not sure if it's the right thing to do. If I understand the terms right ; before the 6 month deadline is up I need to find another card company that'll let me do the same thing and then transfer it again, right?

I have a balance of $5200 on one card and I send them $130 a month at 7 1/4% interest so $65 of that $130 is going to interest. If I could save this $65 interest I would have it paid off. Is there anything to watch for when I'm doing this and the ? Is should I do it and has anyone out there done it successfully? Thanks for your time and have a nice weekend.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gadgets

I no longer carry a balance on ANY credit card but years ago when I'd made up my mind to be totally debt free, I switched my balances to a card offering a much lower interest rate. I didn't read the fine print enough to realize that they charged an enormous 'transfer fee'. It ended up costing me just as much in fees as I'd 'saved' in interest charges. So make sure you read their offer very closely for any hidden charges. Good luck.

Bookmark   October 20, 2002 at 9:09AM
minnie_tx

I've done it many times. I recently did it when getting a new S&H Green Stamps card. I now have over 11,000 Green Stamps. The trick is to get the card eventually paid off and then pay it off each month. Just make sure you do it.

It's ok to do it.

Bookmark   October 29, 2002 at 1:35PM
joyfulguy

Hi Heidiho,

Someone said on one of these credit card threads that there are some cards that allow you to make new purchases and charge 0% on that, but that some will charge interest right away, sometimes at a rather high rate, on new purchases - it's only 0% on the amount transferred. And they credit payments to the transferred amount, leaving the whole of the new purchased amount to attract interest.

Better make sure you read all the fine print.

It's best, of course, if you can avoid making any new purchases on the card(s) until your balances are paid off. Then pay off the balance every month.

Hope you work things out to your advantage.

joyful guy/Ed

Bookmark   February 25, 2003 at 1:05AM
lulie___wayne

I rarely use a credit card, but I know people who have paid off bills doing this. It is a smart way to do it! Good for you!
Lu

Bookmark   March 11, 2003 at 12:24AM
More Discussions
Retirement Property in PA
looking for retirement property in Pennsylvania, preferably...
Karen10125
Elderly mother cancelled her long-term care policy
Apparently, the premiums were increasing significantly...
jewelisfabulous
Social Security at 62 - where to deposit funds?
Gonna be 62 in 2013 and I've decided to begin my Social...
YodaRules
Are insurance premiums a write off
when you file income tax this year? I'm talking Medicare...
katy1234_gw
Looking forward to retirement in a few years
Hi, I am new here and joined this forum as I am looking...
mummy1234
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Natural Kilim Natural/Ivory 4
Home Depot
28 Series Nineteen Pendant Chandelier by Bocci
$11,590.00 | Lumens
Red Plush Elf Gift Card Holder
$5.99 | zulily
Kids Storage Bin
Home Decorators Collection
Poker Face Flask
| Dot & Bo