Remove 4" concrete step (separate pour)?

Phaedrus29February 4, 2014

I'd like to remove a 4" raised concrete step/platform in my garage...so that this area is level with the rest of the garage floor. I had an inspector over who confirmed that I can cut and remove the section I want to, and stay within code. He pointed out that the 4" step is a separate concrete pour...it was poured separately on top of the garage floor.

Then I had a concrete guy over who said that I would have to remove the step AND garage floor in that area, and do a complete repour. Is that right? Is there no way to remove the 4" raised area without destroying/removing the original garage floor? Thanks for the help.

Here is a pic showing the step sitting on the garage floor:

And another pic down the egress, where you can see the separate pour of the raised section and the garage floor:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

If the step was properly poured, there will be rebar/screen inside it to secure it to the floor. There could also be a section under the step that was removed from the old floor. Both methods are used to lock the new material to the old.

It might be possible to remove just the step, you will have to try to find out.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 11:24AM
Phaedrus29

Thanks for the response. What would the process be for trying to remove the step without messing up the garage floor?

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 2:26PM
Trebruchet

Phaedrus29:

Use a concrete saw to cut almost all the way through it in 6" increments before breaking it out with a sledge hammer.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Where to purchase Spanish roof tiles? I just need 2 pieces.
One handyman came to my house to evaluate the price...
janesylvia
Pouring a new driveway
Hello everyone, first time poster. I'm ready to sign...
cin_ram1972
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
kashka_kat
Pork Chop Return (aka Mutton Chop)
Has anyone successfully changed a pork chop dormer...
betsy031799
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™