How to repair

P_BennettFebruary 14, 2014

Recently moved into a new home that looks like it had some leaking at some point. Sellers said it hadn't leaked in many years, but they apparently didn't want to fix the appearance of it.

I haven't pulled back any of the damage, but I'm assuming this will need new drywall, not just a new coat of paint. The picture actually looks worse than it is, but hopefully it's clear enough.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Sorry...I can't really tell what I'm looking at. Is this a window opening? Also, that doesn't look like sheetrock...is it? Finally, even if they told the truth and it hasn't leaked (at least visibly) in years, you could have old or continuing structural damage inside the wall. This will require some investigation on your part....

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 3:59PM
klem1

How to repair????
Just tear out the bad material, replace it then do a nice job finishing it.
My biggest questions would be what caused it and has it been perminatly repaired. That looks like commercial construction judging from wall cavity. Does the building have a flat roof?

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 11:58PM
Trebruchet

That looks like some fine old plaster. Make sure the leak has been stopped then give it a skim coat of mud. I'd sure try that before ripping it out and drywalling.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 10:56AM
kudzu9

Trebuchet-
I generally agree with you to not make more work than necessary, but it may be hard to confirm there isn't a leak going on internally without at least some modest demo. The last time I dealt with a wall leak, there was little external evidence of damage, but, inside the wall, the studs had literally been turned to mush...I was able to scoop out handfuls of sopped wood pulp and moisture ants using just my hand.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 12:33PM
emmarene

I would say do nothing until you know with certainty that it no longer leaks there. Has it rained seen you moved in?

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 12:08AM
More Discussions
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Craftsman Garage Door opener won't close
Hello, Wife came home today and was able to open garage...
mattb32
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™