Repair bathroom tile floor

leocadieFebruary 22, 2009

I've inherited a brick duplex built in 1957. On one side the tile bathroom floor is cracking. Part of it has dropped down about 1/4 inch. When I looked underneath, in the crawl space, the tile is laid on an old style bed of mortar. A board supports the mortar base, and this board is supported on each side by 2 x 2s nailed to the joists.

I think the problem is that the board supporting the mortar base is sagging. Wondering if I could install a new board underneath the old, and support it with jack posts? The floor joists are 16 inch on center.

Will appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

To support the floor, you can just bolt the current 2x2 to the joist if it's just loose and not rotted. You can add the other piece, but I would secure the one that's there now before adding the other piece.
Ron

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 3:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjb999

You probably can jack it up, but consider the cause of the sagging, it's probably moisture. The real solution is to redo the floor. If you do, consider using a fibre cement product that is truly water/rot proof vs the plywood that seems to be favoured in north america. Rot in such material exposed to moisture (of course the tile base should be made waterproof) is inevitable.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™