Rebuilding portion of exterior wall - should I use vapor barrier?

tinag333February 28, 2010

We are in PA and our house is on a slab - no basement. We recently found mold in one of our bedroom walls from faulty flashing. I removed all of drywall and insulation to find that the sheathing was completely rotted through. So now we are looking at the metal siding on one wall about 6.5 feet high by 4 feet wide. Parts of the studs and sill were also rotted so I was going to replace them as well.

Our bedroom gets quite humid during the spring/summer so we run a dehumidifier. Also, in the winter, it gets somewhat chilly (about 60 degrees) in there.

So my question is, while rebuilding this portion of wall, should I install a vapor barrier? Inside the insulation (I was going to use foam board) or outside? There is so much conflicting info on the web and I'm finding arguments for both ways. I don't want to trap moisture inside the wall.

Also, while checking out the sill, I noticed that there is a small area where I can actually see the ground/light from outside. How do I plug that up???

I realize that a professional could better handle this situation but unfortunately, that's not an option.

Thanks,

Tina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul21

Yesssss to vapor barrie and it always goes on the warm side, i.e. under the drywall. As to your last question, I'm confused.Are you talking about the sill or the slab ? You already said that the sill was rotted or are you talking about another area ?

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 7:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tinag333

Thank-you! I guess I don't know what I'm looking at. The sill is rotting but not rotted through or anything but when I look between it and the siding, I can see the ground from inside my house. It's hard to explain. Maybe I'll be able to see what's going on more clearly when I rip it out.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Roof repair -- fair price?
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here and...
vashts85
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
Jacking house up
Ok the first time I posted in wrong place. I'm going...
music9704
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™