help with siding color-asap!

kfox1101October 27, 2010

I am in the midst of a renovation. Suddenly, the siding color has gone from a decision that I had some time to make to an urgent decision that must be made yesterday if not sooner. The siding is Hardie Shingles; the two colors are Heathered Moss and Mountain Sage; the house style is Craftsman influenced. Should I put the darker color on the bottom floor and the lighter color on the second, with gables accented in the darker, or the reverse? I rather think that the darker color on the bottom looks better ("grounded", for lack of a better term). I'm afraid that the second floor being darker sort of "squashes" the house down. BUT, I think I remember reading somewhere that it was typical for Craftsman style houses to be painted lighter on the bottom and darker on top. HELP! GC is awaiting my decision. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rlthomas7

I think that the darker color on the bottom would look better too, but I'd also ask on the decorating forum. They answer very quickly and always have knowledge and opinions (even if you don't always ask for them, LOL!)

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 2:37PM
wi-sailorgirl

I tend to like darker colors on the bottom...

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 3:22PM
kfox1101

rlthomas and wi-sailorgirl~

Thanks for your very quick replies. I also posted in the Paint Forum (although this isn't really about painting), and the Decorating Forum (although the description at the top seems to imply that it is geared more toward interior decorating rather than exterior. Will see if anyone there posts, but so far you two are the only ones. And you just happen to agree with me. How about that?! :-) Of course, the GC feels otherwise, but what else is new?

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 6:23PM
wi-sailorgirl

Foxy, one thing I'm learning is that my GC has very different tastes from me. Unless it is related to something structural, I've stopped asking for his opinion. Maybe I have horrible taste, or I'm just "doing" it wrong, but I know what I like in most cases. Unless he can point out a specific reason why my opinion is wrong, then I don't pay much attention to his thoughts on the aesthetics of things.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 10:55AM
kfox1101

sailorgirl~ have been easing up a bit on asking his opinion also. many of his ideas are good. he's got an upclose and personal relationship with a lot more houses than i do, after all. and he's seen many 'mistakes' that have been made by clients who regretted them afterward. i appreciate the fact that his intentions are good and he wants me to be happy with the project. it appears our differences revolve mainly around colors. he likes stark, sharp contrast; i like soft and subtle with no one thing overpowering anything else. the problem comes in when he looks over my choices and infers that they may be misguided. then i begin to doubt myself, freeze up and can't make a final decision. in the meantime, he's held up because i can't tell him which siding to order, roofing shingles to order, etc., not to mention my tossing and turning all night, every night with these things on my mind. am like a walking zombie every day from lack of sleep, and there are no good decisions that come out of exhaustion. have to fight the urge to just close my eyes, point and be done with it, but i know i'll regret that in the end.

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 7:56PM
wi-sailorgirl

Foxy ... I was exactly where you are about 6 weeks ago. Didn't sleep for what seemed like weeks with all the decisions rolling around in my head. All I can say is that it did get better as the project went on. I am suffering a bit from decision exhaustion ... for instance I'm pretty much just narrowing lighting decisions down to a small group and then asking a friend to pick for me because I just can't think about it anymore, but it does get better.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
need help designing shed dormers
we bought an 1864 post and beam house and want to add...
lisafromvermont
adding a room, relocating stairs, relocating kitchen
My husband and I are planning on adding a one story...
soapstoneshel
Large scale Asbestos Removal?!!
We are planning a large home renovation. First step...
houseofmagnolia
What decisions, materials, can cut costs when remodeling?
If you really have a budget to work within, how do...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Small bath remodel - problem tub size
I could use some advice. We decided it is high time...
thomis
Sponsored Products
Revolving Cube Photo Frame
| Dot & Bo
Sunnydaze Cast Iron Bowl Fire Pit with Copper Finish, 31 inch Diameter
SerenityHealth
Modern Block Rug 8' x 11' - ASHWOOD/LIQUORICE
$1,399.00 | Horchow
Chain Reaction Giclee Glow 16" Wide Bronze Pendant
Lamps Plus
Chocolate Patterned Jacquard Blackout Grommet Panel - Set of Two
$24.99 | zulily
Aspen Outdoor Pendant by Troy Lighting
$420.00 | Lumens
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Dynamix Rugs Bazaar Trim Black
Home Depot
3Form Brushed Nickel 21-Inch Wide LED Semi-Flush Bowl with Tapered Clips and Tak
Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™