Need advice

Lillie1441August 22, 2007

I am 66 and DH will be 70 in Feb.Recently DH liquidated some mineral interests.After paying off all our debts,(except our home which we plan to sell within a year or two) we will have about $70,000. that we would like to put away in something short term that would draw some interest,and that would not require us to pay exhorbitant taxes.Our annual income is between $30 and $40 thousand.We will also have to pay IRS taxes out of this but would like to put all of into something right now that would enable us take out the tax money in April without paying a penalty.We have never had money to invest in anything so are totally in the dark as to what to do.All suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You should ask your bank or credit union about a 6 month CD. It will give you safety from losing your principle, access to the cash with no penalty at the end of the 6 months, and a few dollars in dividends (about $1,400) that will be taxed at the same rate as the rest of your income.

    Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 9:54PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need your advice on our Plan
Thank you for your advice and suggestions. We do not...
Elderly mother cancelled her long-term care policy
Apparently, the premiums were increasing significantly...
anyone have two homes in retirement
dh and i have been having trouble deciding where to...
Retirement Property in PA
looking for retirement property in Pennsylvania, preferably...
Can I draw SS on my husbands SS before he draws? SS...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™