help regarding over 55 communities across the country

cynthia1000August 5, 2007

My husband and I are interested in retiring to a over 55 year old community. We love the Villagers in Florida - that is a community with almost a town of activities and community based atmosphere. We are interested in any other communities that might be like that anywhere in the US - but possibly in NJ, PA, Fla. or CAlifornia.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

Most every state has these communities. Beaware of restrictions of each--how long grandkids can stay, pets, etc.
You might check our AARP to see what is advertised, also the monthly magazines of each state/area, like Midwest Living. Or just type in Retirement Communities in a search engine. If you know the area, you can check out the city websites.
Also find out restrictions about selling etc. Find out about medical in area. That is very important when you get retirment age.
Find out about taxes (state) etc.
Lots to do before you make decisions
Relaives--how far away--what happens if on of you get very sick or needs help.

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 2:09PM
sharlee

Cynthia,
Sounds as if you prefer sunny climates...is that correct? A good point was made regarding relatives in area wherever you decide to live.

Because my DH was 10yrs older when we moved to a 55+ I sure wasn't prepared for the atmosphere. Sure, there was a golf course, 3 pools, group activities, travel club, etc. This is the West Coast, so Spring, Summer & Fall are lovely.
I personally could not adjust to being around "all those old folks", so just stayed on 3yrs after his passing. Altho' I was 53yrs I personally was too young for all the organized events & there was & still is so much bickering between this particular community of 2000 residents. One thing I did enjoy was the beautiful indoor pool plus library & at times the travel club. It's simply one's choice.
Well, that was 13yrs ago, so I've been leasing out that residence. Am going to try it again in a year & see if time has changed how I feel. What it boils down to, I believe, is a person's attitude. Keeping positive is a must. Instead of hearing, "oh, are you old enough to live here"? Now, I shouldn't be hearing that & if I do I'll take it as a compliment! Hahaa
I recall Betty who used to speak of the Villages in Florida, but did move altho' spared from the storms. Must be a nice area to live.
Have visited my DDad in Arizona which is nice in the Winter months, both Sun City West & friends in Goodyear. It's an idea to rent space for a while to make certain you like an area. A week's visit doesn't give a true picture.
Happiness to you,
Sharlee

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 12:22AM
Jonesy

I live in a Patio home, 95% of the residents are seniors, over 50% of those are widows. There is no organization here, just older people who enjoy each other. We lunch together, travel together, spend money together....LOL We walk every night. The lawn work is done for us, so is the outside painting, gutters, etc... Our builder developed another area of Patio Homes and there is a Red Hat society there. It's the best decision I have made. My husband died last April and I am left in a nice home with friends living around me. It's like family only BETTER!

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 7:25PM
carole6

I'm always searching for some type of retirement community, too. Biggest problem being.......MONEY! Not enough of it of course. Had too many medical bills, etc. for awhile, but really hard to get back on ones feet. So still looking for maybe subsidized housing for seniors, or something! Would be willing to work. Anyone else in this situation, and how did you solve it?

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Life in the Villages
Betty, My hubby and I are thinking about moving to...
PattyDee600
What bothers you the most at your retirement home?
Hello. We are a group of graduate students at the University...
Philip87
Need your advice on our Plan
Thank you for your advice and suggestions. We do not...
defboater
Has anyone gone through probate in Alabama?
Hi. I live with my Mom who is 95, in Huntsville, Alabama....
Candace Seaton
What's Pretirement mean?
Hi guys. I want to hear your thoughts about this. I...
artparcell
Sponsored Products
15" x 108" Runner
$59.90 | Horchow
Missoni Home | Olga Neutral Duvet Cover
YLiving.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs West Port SP-16 Black 3 ft. 6
Home Depot
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S5304 Bathtub Faucet with Hand Shower - S5304CR
$958.92 | Hayneedle
Kincaid Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Safavieh Runner Rug: Chelsea Light Blue 2.5' x 8'
Home Depot
Safavieh Hand-hooked Chelsea Styles Red Wool Rug (5'3 x 8'3)
Overstock.com
Custom Clinton Upholstered Headboard
Home Decorators Collection
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™