Panorama City, Lacey Washington

leelAugust 3, 2009

Anyone retired to Panorama City In Lacey, Washington? How do you like it: pros, cons, and anything else you can think of.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
devorah

I don't want to bump your question down, but since you haven't had a reply, I will tell you what little I know. I have had friends (now deceased) who lived there, and all of them loved it. If security is important to you, this is the place to be. It is especially good for couples, since one can move into managed care while the other one is next door in independent living. If you don't drive, there is a bus that takes residents shopping and to the theater and all the events in Olympia and Lacey. The grounds are quite nice and I believe it is very close to the Chehalis-Western Trail which offers a lot of walking and bicycling opportunities.

The con of course is that this is a huge and irreversible decision unless you have a lot of money. The folks I knew pretty much put all of their savings into buying into Panorama City so they had to stay there - though none was unhappy about their decision. One friend lived only a little while after moving. While she was able, she really enjoyed the security and having friends she could see who lived in walking distance. When she was hospitalized and then returned to Panorama City for nursing home care, she was very happy with the care she received. Because she hadn't lived very long at Panorama City, some of her money was returned to her estate.

I think it comes down to: Do you want to commit? My in-laws looked into it, and their answer was "No", but they are/were both extremely private and independent people. It would actually have been wonderful for my mother-in-law because she couldn't drive and her husband wouldn't take her where she wanted to go. She later had a stroke and was in nursing care in a different town than her husband. It would have been much easier for them both had care been available and neighbors to look in on them. My father-in-law would have hated it. He is an exhuberant personality and does everything, including his hobbies, in a big way that wouldn't have worked well for him in a more confined environment. He still has the big home on acreage and could never have adjusted to the more confined space offered at Panorama City. He isn't big on rules so that part of it wouldn't have worked for him either.

One of my professors from college has lived at Panorama City for years, and as far as I know, he still travels and lectures around the country. His wife can stay home without worrying about a health event and no one to call.

So, fiercely independent or loving the low stress life - which better describes you? I think you will find the answer in that.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 2:55PM
leel

Thanks so much for your thoughtful answer. I think it sounds perfect for my husband, and I'll adjust :) I haven't really retired, but there are things there that I liked very much. We committed ourselves last week, after we found a large duplex plan that we liked & which will be built for us after the turn of the year. For us it will be a major life change in more than one way, since we'll be relocating from NJ.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 10:37PM
lrdwp3_gmail_com

My wife had a stroke in 2000 ana was rehabed and sent home ffor my care giver with help for 3 years but she slipped getting into the shower and broke her leg so back to the hospital and then to Panorama for care . I sold my home on the seventh fairway @ Capitol City and moved into Panorama. I visit her every day and she has excelent care!I have been here since 2005 and I am very glad I made the move. I will move to an apartment here soon to be even closer to my wife --- I made wise decisonto come to PANORAMA!!!

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Rochester NY to North Carolina?
seriously considering move. NY is kind to pensions...
neversink4
social security benefits
I just reached age 62 and will continue to work full...
fuzzyapple
anyone have two homes in retirement
dh and i have been having trouble deciding where to...
zippity1
Brains and bodies, like muscles, need exercise
What do they say about muscles - "Use them or...
joyfulguy
Should my husband retire at age 55?
My husband will be 55 next Febuary and can retire with...
Happyladi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™