What's the name of that spousal pension law?

susie100July 6, 2009

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this on, but....what is the name of that federal law where a divorced spouse is entitled to part of her ex-husband's pension? And does anyone know a site where I could read the entire law? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Your rights to part of a former husband's pension depend on the laws of your state, and the rules of the pension itself.

Any such rights apply to both the husband and wife.

Generally, the portion of a pension that is considered marital property, and thus subject to a divorce settlement, is the portion that was earned during the marriage.

Your attorney can advise you in this matter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

    Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 1:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My husband signed over his pension to me and lost $125. a month. He has passed away and I draw the same pension he did. Many husbands that works at the same company just take the papers home and the wives sign away their pensions. There are no laws that I know of that protects the wife automatically.

    Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 10:33PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Rochester NY to North Carolina?
seriously considering move. NY is kind to pensions...
Need your advice on our Plan
Thank you for your advice and suggestions. We do not...
What bothers you the most at your retirement home?
Hello. We are a group of graduate students at the University...
anyone have two homes in retirement
dh and i have been having trouble deciding where to...
"forced" early retirement
Hi, all, new here & glad to see this forum! My...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™