Painting Ceramic Lamps???

roseofanothercolerJune 20, 2008

Thank you in advance for all responses and advise. Has anyone painted ceramic lamps? I have two "Ginger Jar" Lamps that I would like to makeover and use. I'm thinking about painting them. Has anyone tried this and what was your result? And more importantly, how did you do it. Once again Thank you....Rosie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neetsiepie

Krylon spray paint. It now comes in a huge variety of colors and sheens. Easiest thing ever.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 12:50AM
yayagal

I just painted a pottery lamp that I made years ago and it needed a color change. I went to Michaels and got four tiny bottles of glass paint. One was a sky blue which I painted all over it and then I varied a cobalt with a deep purple and let it drizzle down. It looks like a high end piece from a good store now. I got a good linen lampshade for it. Easy fix.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 1:28AM
printersdevil

I don't think that you can paint over the ones that are high gloss where the paint color was fired on in a kiln. I could be wrong, but I think I remember my sister telling me this when I wanted to paint some years ago.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 1:53AM
jaybird

I have "sanded" the ceramic lamps with 200 grit sand paper, cleaned them with vinegar, let them dry and then spray painted with Krylon paint as Miss Pesky suggested. They survived 3 kids and are working on 7 grandkids with only a minimum of damage

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 5:46PM
chijim

I spray painted this lamp w/Kylon also - all I did was clean it well.

The orig lamp was white w/blue flowers and I wanted to freshen it up!

Jim

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 7:40PM
bac717

After reading this thread, I'm thinking about picking up a lamp with a nice shape at a thrift store and giving the Krylon paint a try. That way, if it doesn't turn out as well as I'd like, at least I wouldn't be out a lot of money.

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 11:20PM
valzone5

I have painted a shiny ceramic lamp. I liked the shape, but not the 70's orange flowers that were painted on it. I sanded it down with regular sandpaper, primed with Zinzer, and then painted it with a foam roller and craft paint, then put a sealer coat over it to give it some shine and protect the paint. Spray paint would have been a better idea, but I was in a hurry, LOL! In any case, the paint has held up just fine.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 8:07AM
barbarany

I also spray painted a ceramic ginger jar lamp with copper metallic krylon paint - came out beautiful

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 11:14AM
oneplustwo

Yay for this thread! One of the projects on my to-do list is to paint an old hand-me-down lamp. Wasn't sure what to use. Now I know! Jim, thanks especially for showing your end result -- looks amazing!

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 9:26PM
lynninnewmexico

I've painted several ceramic lamps over the years, most with shiny surfaces and they all came out really well with no sanding at all. I've used the Krylon spray and regular craft paint from Hobby Lobby.
BTW, Chijim: that room is stunning! I'd love it if you'd start a new thread and show us with more pics of it.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 7:44PM
mammie15

I agree, Lynn. I'd love to see more. It looks like so homey and comfortable.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 7:49PM
tseretis_gmail_com

Does anyone have any ideas on reversing this process? I have 2 ceramic lamps with gesso flowers on them that I painted over many years ago. I now would like to try to remove the paint and restore to the original finish. Thanks. Terry

Bookmark   January 8, 2011 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Budget kitchen remodel
We relocated to a new state, and bought this home last...
reallymelanie
Improvement With A Few $'s
My plain pony wall bugged me. I finally tackled it...
mustangs81
SW Kilm Beige
If you have used this color, would you please tell...
boystown
artificial Christmas tree; Frontgate? Balsam Hill?
We're thinking of going with an artificial Christmas...
kardut
We could have some fun with this house
This house is in a town not far from me. The price...
Sueb20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™