retirement in Morelia, Mexico

aanddJuly 17, 2010

My wife and I are interested in retiring to the Morelia area in Mexico. We would be on a fixed income of our social security. Are there any others out there that have done this or are thinking about it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

Remember, your medicare will not work outside the US, and if you have any supplement insurance you pay first, they maybe it pays.
Also if you do not speak the language it will be more difficut. Would I do it- NO WAY!

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 5:49PM
minnie_tx

I'd want to stay under the protection of the US Flag regardless of where it was in the USA IMHO

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 4:28PM
vala55

I had a Mexican friend and she said if you can't pass for Mexican you should not go, it's dangerous. I don't know for a fact, but I don't think you can't take anything with you when enter the country except your clothes and probably can't bring anything out if you want to move back, but am only guessing about the moving back part. From what I have read if they think you have committed a crime it's guilty until proven innocent. I don't know where you live but living is cheaper in the midwest, a lot cheaper than on either coast.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 11:20PM
cbrines

I agree with minnie and vala55. Mexico is dangerous and its getting worse! I like going for a cruise once in a while, but no way would I ever live down there full time!

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 7:46PM
kudzu9

If all you ever visit in Mexico is border towns, then it is dangerous...maybe as dangerous as, say, inner city Detroit. But if you are in the other 99% of the country, it's another story. I've been to at least a dozen different areas in Mexico -- including central Mexico where Morelia is located -- and generally have felt safer than walking the streets of many American cities. I also know a number of people who have retired to Mexico, or live half of the year there and half in the U.S., and I have never heard of any problems. All of my daughters have visited there numerous times, and, trust me, none of us ever worried about trying to "pass for Mexican." There are many large expatriate American communities throughout Mexico, and their numbers are increasing each year.

Bad stuff can happen wherever you live (like Tucson, or New York, or Columbine, or Virginia Tech), but broadly characterizing a country like Mexico as dangerous is a little excessive.

In answer to the original poster...just do a Google search for "Morelia, Mexico" plus "expatriate" or "U.S. community" for some information from people who live there or have other knowledge to offer.

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 6:47AM
More Discussions
Four wks to retirement - mixed feelings
My job totally changed a few months ago and it is no...
colorcrazy
anyone have two homes in retirement
dh and i have been having trouble deciding where to...
zippity1
Retire from NJ to... Virginia? Pennsylvania ??
Hello All! I would just like some feedback. My husband...
pdanco
Anyone considering retiring to Panama or Ecuador?
Hi! My husband and I are middle income and with the...
glenny56
Already own or buying a condo in Florida?
Beware! http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/articles/2015/2/6/florida-condo-law.html...
jewelisfabulous
Sponsored Products
O Holy Knife Rack
| Dot & Bo
Authentic Models Purser's Bell
Classic Hostess
Authentic Models Gee-Bee Squadron Mobile
Classic Hostess
Crystal Pyramid Desk Clock
Classic Hostess
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™