Repairing stone fireplace hearth

speckledcatFebruary 9, 2012

Our limestone fireplace has a chunk of mortar missing from the raised hearth. It doesn't seem to affect the integrity of the hearth, but it's unsightly. How do I get the mortar used for the repair to match the existing mortar? The mortar is about the color of the light, rough-cut limestone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Even if you are able to do detective work to find out the brand/color of mortar that was used, mixing it up at this advanced time from the original can mean that the patch won't match. Chisel a small hunk out and visit a brick showroom that also will have mortar samples. A whole bag will be the minimum purchase, unfortunately. Also buy a bonding agent. Chisel out as much loose stuff as you can, apply the bonding agent and mix up the mortar. Apply and wait until it's mostly hard and then tool. If the color doesn't quite match a week or two after it's cured, you can very carefully use some artists acrylics thinned out to make it match better if it's not in a direct heat location.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 11:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
speckledcat

Hollysprings, thank you for the suggestion. I apologize for the late acknowledgement; sometimes family can intervene in our plans.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™