garage Doo Conversion kit

iggieFebruary 13, 2011

Recently someone posted a web site where a kit can be purchased to convert a garage door from the spring cable type opening system to one using the torsion rod setup, if anyone has the site and can post it I would greatly appreciate it, try as I might I cannot find the message in the old posts, thanks Iggie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

There is quite a bit of hardware involved here. I think it might even be close to the price of a new door. I would call around and get some estimates. I don't recommend any DIY when it comes to torsion springs.

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 4:56PM
izzie

I had a new garage door bought from a big box store and they had some names of installers there. He installed door and new hardware for I think about 250-300, and took the old door and hardware and recycled what could be. It would probably be worth it to have someone who really knows how to do this properly do it for you.

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 11:19AM
kudzu9

iggie-
Just to emphasize what don_1_2006 said about torsion springs: there have been quite a few case of serious injuries and deaths caused by non-professionals messing around with torsion springs on garage doors. I think I remember another thread here on GardenWeb where someone mentioned that they lost most of their lower jaw from such an accident. This is one DIY situation I wouldn't get close to.

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Metal fence panels - steel or aluminum? Best brands?
I want to put up a fence to divide my side yard from...
ktmast
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™