cracks on granite counter top

OR96ANGEApril 22, 2013

I had a kitchen counter top installed 2 weeks ago. A friend highly recommended that I go and pick the slab of granite I wanted from the wholesale granite importer and have their people cut and install the counter top at my place. That's what I did.
A week later a plumber put the faucet and hooked up the drains and garbage disposal.
About 6 hours after the plumber left, my husband and I heard a loud noise in the kitchen. The counter top had cracked in front and behind the faucet.

Now I have the plumber saying it's an installation problem and the installer accusing the plumber.

I would very much like to hear your opinion.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

The plumber overtightened the nut. Good thing you didn't put in a fireclay sink or he could have cracked that too. It IS repairable with epoxy by the granite fabricator. But the plumber should pay for it.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldryder

I am a fabricator.

Tough problem. If the countertop was properly installed there is no mechanical stress on the granite and no reason for it to crack so the too tight faucet nut is at least possible. I would look along the underside of the countertop to see if it is shimmed so that every part has support. Typically the tops of the cabinetry are not perfectly level and the underside of the stone is also not perfectly flat so some shimming is required. if some section is not supported then a crack developing is quite possible.

However, since granite has a compressive strength similar to concrete it's difficult to imagine tightening a faucet nut enough to harm the granite. In fact, it seems impossible to me.

unless you can determine that the tops were improperly installed your best bet is to let the fabricator repair the crack. A well done repair will make the crack invisible or nearly so.

you might ask the fabricator if the sink area is "rodded". Rodding is the technique used to strengthen the rails around the sink by glueing in a steel or fiberglass rod in the underside of the rail. the rod prevents movement much like rebar in concrete in the event a crack develops. A repair of the crack is much more likely to be permenant if the stone is rodded.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
Kitchen cabinets - Grabill vs Crystal
Hi. Would love some opinions on Grabill vs Crystal...
katrina37
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
Can you use IKEA base cabinets as wall cabinets?
Wanting something larger for over-the-fridge than their...
lookintomyeyes83
Old, Deep Cast Iron Sink or New Sink? I can't decide
Hello, would love to hear from those of you who have...
Cindy McMahon
Sponsored Products
Besa Lighting | Zumi Low Voltage Pendant Light
$139.50 | YLighting
AHB Solace Bar Stool - 130907CLA
$229.95 | Hayneedle
Emerald Home Brighton Black & Cashew 7 piece Counter Height Set - EMER566
Hayneedle
Finner Gray Tufted Bar Stool
$289.99 | zulily
White Lush Square Base Swivel Bar Stool
Zuri Furniture