Owl's: Not my favorite way to go

nanajayneDecember 7, 2013

DGD ask me to make an Owl quilt for a friend who will have a baby early next year. She saw an idea and wondered if I could do something like it. He brother designed the owl for me and she chose 30's fabric for them. I did the rest. I don't rate it very high on my list of accomplishments but I did use just fabric from my stash so that counts for something..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanajayne

Have difficulty posing second pic.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 7:04PM
nannykins

That is really cute!
Theresa

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:15PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Jayne, I think you did a wonderful job of putting the owls together! They should be very happy with it! What technique did you use?

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:38PM
bev2009

Are you kidding? Totally funky and adorable. My daughter loves owls and would love this quilt.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:47PM
quiltnhen

It's adorable. Great use of fabric and so one of a kind. How fun with the owl design involving family too.
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:51PM
quiltnhen

It's adorable. Great use of fabric and so one of a kind. How fun with the owl design involving family too.
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:52PM
toolgranny

Wonderful job. They are adorable. I also love the sashing material. I'm sure that they will treasure it.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 10:30PM
nanajayne

I sure hope they like as it isn't one of my favorite.
My GS drew a 5 " owl which I enlarged on the computer, then I cut it apart making templates of the eyes, stomach and feet. I fused appliqued, cutting out the fuse in the centers. I then did a narrow satin st. around the parts. As he had drawn a feather like design on the stomach I use that idea to quilt the owl down and put a star st. in the eyes.
I also used fabric paint to highlight the eyes. Did a terrible job of stippling but probably only I will care. lol
The sashing fabric was a left over strip that I used on the Very Hungry Caterpillar quilt I made a while back. I felt that help to bring it together because of all the different colors. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 11:53PM
day2day

That is so cute. They will love it.
TFS.

~Geraldine

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 8:01AM
chickie1

Its so cute. You did a great job.
Darlene

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 8:09AM
magothyrivergirl

You did a fabulous job!! Very creative and alot of work! I understand how you could get tired of the Owls, but each Owl has its own personality! I wondered how you made the eyes. I love it!!

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 10:42AM
loisflan

Jayne, the fact that you didn't particularly enjoy the results doesn't show at all. It's very cute and very well done. It is a lot more enjoyable working on something that you love though. Kudos to you for making what they wanted. And I think your choice of sashing was perfect.

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 11:58AM
quiltingfox

Awe it's cute! I like the pink owl best. Congrats on finishing it and for working from your stash.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 2:15PM
nanajayne

I made the eyes by cutting holes in the 2 eye templates and allowed the background to show. I did the white freehand with fabric paint and did machine star in the center of lg. white dots.
This is the picture my gs drew.

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 2:58PM
caroline94535

Your quilt, and his drawing, are wonderful!

If it were me, I'd frame the owl drawing, using a couple wide mats, and hang it in the baby's room, too.

My husband and I were both amazed at his drawing and your translation of it into fabric.

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 4:00PM
petalpatsy

LOL! I just love it to bits. My first thought was "OMG thats great!" The colors, the scrappy, the owls! The details may bug you, but the big picture impression is just delightful. I'm sure the kids will love it and I agree that picture should be framed to go along with the quilt.

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 4:17PM
littlehelen_gw

WOW...You did an awesome job of those owls....really impressive! Thanks for sharing how you did the owl eyes, when I first looked at the quilt, I could not get over the incredible eyes...,the whole quilt is really well done!!!
Ditto the GS picture framing idea...too cool.
V.

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 7:11PM
jaceysgranny

It is delightful! I can't believe how their eyes sparkle and the little feet are so cute. Since you cut up the original drawing you might could get your GS draw another and they could frame it. That was a great idea!

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 9:13PM
karpet

That is absolutely darling!!

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 9:29AM
lindaoh_gw

The quilt is great! I think you should make it into a pattern and sell it.
I made an owl quilt for my first grandson from a purchased pattern. Love your design!
Linda OH

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 9:45AM
polardreams

Sorry you don't like this quilt - I think it is really darling and you did such a good job. You are so creative!

Sue

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
how large is your design wall?
I was just wondering how large everyones design wall...
redpenny
How about a QOTD ????
What is your bestest, most favorite, the "I never...
beth7happy
January, 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Here we are in 2015......Black-eyes, collards and cornbread...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Oh my!
Switching over to Houzz very challenging! I sure hope...
nannykins
Q.O.T.D.: What does your sewing room look like?
Question of the Day: What does your sewing room look...
quiltingfox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™