Looking for photos of header/post combinations in older houses

dreamojeanApril 4, 2013

I'm interested in seeing pictures of kitchens in older homes where a wall has been removed and a large header has been installed, or a smaller header with a post (or posts), with an island in the middle of the kitchen, to get ideas as to how to integrate a post/posts into the island design. We are in the process of opening up a wall and I can picture either a post on one end of the island or posts on either side of the island (so it's like a picture frame around the island), and I've seen photos of posts in more modern kitchens, but not that many in older houses like our brownstone where a lot of the details have been retained like the tin ceilings, hardwood floors and classic trim. I'm thinking of going for columns that mimic the trim we're losing a bit of, to tie the room together. Any thoughts/pics welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laughablemoments

Here are some pictures that I had saved that might give you some ideas. You could also check houzz.com and type in something like "island post" and you'll get more. Some will be the little posts under the countertop, but there are others that go all the way to the ceiling like what you are looking for.

Not connected, but could be:

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/laughablemoments/2-kitchen-otm-0608-xlg-62780451-19295169.jpg

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
Silestone Lagoon... Which one is the real deal????
I am experiencing the typical paralysis by analysis...
Anna Pensgen
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
Can we still email.....
like you could on the old GW, if you were set up to...
bicyclegirl1
Dishwasher placement: 36" or 12" from the sink???
I have seen several pix of DW been placed NOT next...
eleena
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™