Drafty door - need help

gisela4277January 10, 2009

We have a very drafty inside door that leads to the garage. There is compressible weatherstripping on the stop moldings on all sides, however, because the space between the door and the entry jamb is so wide, there is also additional foam stripping on the door itself. however, there is a gap where the locks are and this is where the draft is coming from. How can we make this door completely sealed? I hope I described this properly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macattac

I think i understand the "gap where the locks are" part, but before we get into that - When the door is locked shut does it squish tight up against the compressible weatherstripping on the stops? All three sides?

Bookmark   January 11, 2009 at 7:39PM
gisela4277

Yes, it does squish up tight, or at least it appears to (I have to give it an extra push to make it latch). The top and bottom don't seem to be drafty.

It seems to be a problem because there is such a wide space between the door and the entry jamb, so I was wondering what the best way to close that gap.

Thanks for the help.

Bookmark   January 11, 2009 at 9:47PM
stash-hdy

You may need to reset the entire door, remove the casing on both sides and reshim the door to make it level and square. It may be easier to install a new door and jam.

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 5:37AM
mike_kaiser_gw

How is the gap at the top and bottom on the latch side of the door. Does the jamb bow away from the door in the middle? If so, the solution (as another suggested) might be to pull the casing and adjust the jamb. It's really not that hard to do the only problem you'll likely run into this that the casing will hit the wall at a different point requiring some touch-up painting. If you don't feel like doing it yourself any carpenter or competent handyman should be able to do it in less than a hour plus some time to touch up the paint.

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
kashka_kat
HydroShield Sealant?
I have some granite that is failing to maintain stain...
jaxo
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
tlbean2004
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
Sponsored Products
Meditub 30x53 Right Drain Biscuit Whirlpool jetted Walk-In Bathtub
Beyond Stores
Oxford White 30-inch Bath Vanity with 2 Doors and White Quartz Marble Top
Overstock.com
Little Monster Black Bendable LED Desk Lamp
$44.91 | Lamps Plus
Lloyd Flanders Tobago 23.5 Round End Table
$830.25 | LuxeDecor
Chocolate Seduction Cake - (One Size)
$65.00 | Horchow