extra mortgage payments

dian57June 5, 2011

I'm hoping someone here has the answer to my question.

I have a fixed rate 15 year mortgage in progress. I'm trying to figure out how much extra principal I need to send in order to pay it off in a shorter period of time.

All the mortgage calculators I've found start from the beginning of the loan.

I need one that takes all the original data and gives me an option to plug in extra payments starting now.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks, Dianne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feedingfrenzy

It's simpler than you think.

Just use a regular mortgage calculator, plug in the amount remaining on your morrgage, today's date, and your interest rate. For the term of the mortgage, just use the number of months remaining until the day you would like to have it paid off. Then calculate the payment, subtrate from that your current payment, and the result will be the extra amount you need to add to each payment.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 7:37PM
vala55

I paid our 30 year loan off in 15 years by paying what ever extra I could get my hands on. I didn't have a goal or a set amount to pay, I just applied tax refunds, extra money from an insurance claim, garage sale money, etc..

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 8:59PM
colorcrazy

I did the same as Vala, but it took me a little longer, almost 18 years, because I didn't get serious until 14 years into the mortgage. (Dumb me!) I just paid whatever extra I could afford and was amazed at how fast the balance dropped. Seeing the amount owed was great motivation. We reduced our spending so that we could pay more on the mortgage.

Good luck!

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
Retiring Abroad: Costs of 12 cities
Does not cover healthcare, which can be complex enough...
jkom51
Brains and bodies, like muscles, need exercise
What do they say about muscles - "Use them or...
joyfulguy
Social Security at 62 - where to deposit funds?
Gonna be 62 in 2013 and I've decided to begin my Social...
YodaRules
Retiring to vs. Retiring from
My DH and I are struggling with upcoming retirement....
cheerful1_gw
Looking forward to retirement in a few years
Hi, I am new here and joined this forum as I am looking...
mummy1234
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™