Installing Bi-fold doors in non-plumb walls?

fTownDIY5October 2, 2012

Hi! I'm installing bifold doors into a 72"w opening. Turns out the walls aren't plumb - the bottom is about 1.5" further out than the top of the wall. I'm using Johnson Hardware 1601 Series Folding Door Hardware instead of the more common "tracks". I'm trying to figure out if I should make the door casing plumb from top to bottom even though the bottom frame would protrude out 1.5" more than the top of the casing. OR....should I keep the door frame in line with the out-of-plumb wall. It seems like there's a logical answer here but, so far, I'm not getting it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

1.5 inches out of plumb is drastic. You sure about that? Maybe your level got knocked (if that's what you used).

The doors should be plumb so you have to work from that. You might set the top track further into the opening and see if it works at the bottom.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 8:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

My bad - got it backwards. You might be able to set the track toward the FRONT of the opening. (I'm kind of assuming that 1.5" figure is a typo or something.)

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
Learning to read plans and drawings
We are embarking on the design phase for a remodel...
Susan Taylor Brown
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™