Long Term Care Insurance

MelvinBMay 18, 2012

What are the odds of needing long term care insurance?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkom51

Depends on your own morbidity and mortality risk factors, along with a critical assessment of your complete financial situation and long-term goals.

Anybody who gives you an "easy" answer doesn't know enough about LTCi to give advice...no matter if they're another consumer or a supposed professional.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 12:42AM
azzalea

And here's another question to ask if you're considering it. What are the odds that your insurance company will still be around and willing to pay when you need it?

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 10:34PM
emma

It used to be 15% of the population, now with AZ so rampant, it is likely we will all go to a carehome. I really don't think anyone needs it because if you have a spouse, you do a division of assets if one of the couple has to go to a care home. The patient's spouse gets to keep the home and one car. All the rest of the assets will be divided and when you spend down to half of those assets the patient will go on medicaid. My state is Kansas and I have been told it varies from state to state. I got to live off of what I called my husband's half. I even got to buy a new car with his half. The state can get your home after you die, but Kansas has never done that.

I don't need long term care insurance because my husband has past away. Our retirement and care is what we saved for.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 5:27PM
azzalea

Also, while I'm no expert, you need to consider how many companies are dropping LTCI--so far, they say they'll honor their existing policies, but who knows what the future will bring?

With my aunt in assisted living, it was explained to me, that she needed enough to pay her way for 2 years, then could go on medicaid. She made it 2 years, would have had enough finances to maybe go another 4-5 months, if she hadn't died.

I know there are a lot of ins and outs, on this one, but if you DON'T have a large estate, then buying long term care insurance, you're really buying insurance to take the burden off the state, aren't you? And if you have a bit of money, well, why should someone else (the insurance company, their other clients) be paying your way so your heirs can squander their inheritance on frills? Isn't self-sufficiency in our old age what we're all saving for?

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Looking forward to retirement in a few years
Hi, I am new here and joined this forum as I am looking...
mummy1234
social security benefits
I just reached age 62 and will continue to work full...
fuzzyapple
Downside of over 55 communities
I know the good things about an over 55 community but...
mergie
Retirement Property in PA
looking for retirement property in Pennsylvania, preferably...
Karen10125
Life in the Villages
Betty, My hubby and I are thinking about moving to...
PattyDee600
Sponsored Products
Cassara Outdoor Ottoman Cover
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Nantucket Window Box or Freestanding Planter
Signature Hardware
Aubusson Fruit Area Rug
$269.00 | FRONTGATE
Windhaven Queen Bed
$2,499.00 | Horchow
Designers Fountain 84183 Bradley 3 Light Chandelier in Charcoal Finish Multicolo
$538.00 | Hayneedle
Desk Lamp with Red Fabric Shade-Monk
ParrotUncle
Oil Rubbed Bronze 5-piece Waterfall Bathroom Tub Shower Faucet Set
Overstock.com
Rose Sheet Set
$49.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™