1/2 HP Craftsman Opener

mfcrossJanuary 25, 2009

I have a 1/2 hp craftsman garage door opener. I'm not sure of the year but it was installed in a newly renovated house I just bought and looks brand new. The opener is in the up position and when I try to put it down it looks as if the opener tries to pull the door UP further and then the light blinks over and over again. I have tried messing with the UP and DOWN dials and it does the same thing. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdello

first check and see if the "trolley" (the piece connectred to the door that slides back and forth to move the door) is jammed up against the stop bolt. If it is, this means that the up limit was too far back and the door is trying to reach that limit but can't because of the stop. The stop is there to prevent the trolley from running into the motor unit in just such circumstances.

What needs to be done is to remove the chain and let the free wheeling motor hit the up limit. Once things are reset you can reattach the chain and set the limits (both up and down) appropriately. If you're not mechanically inclined and can see what the unit is trying to do (by looking at the motor unit with the cover off), it may be best to call an overhead door repairman and have him straighten it out for you.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
How to safely pull down attic stairs in 12' ceiling
Hello all, I am buying a house with 12' ceilings and...
ricewalker
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
tlbean2004
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
padfoot4768
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™