existing home alarm

backspaceJanuary 25, 2010

I have a system that has a metal box in my closet and keypads in the entry ways. Not sure what is the problem, may be a bad circuit. Is it possible to find a box that reuse the existing wires and keypads?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

You're not giving much info. Has this system worked for you in the past, or are you trying to get it going. I doubt very much that you need to replace the box. You need an installer to check out the system and maybe trace the circuits. It could be something very trivial, like one bad switch.

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 5:46AM
backspace

It is working again. I am not sure where to get help on this since this is a older system. It may cost more to repair than to install the new system.

I am considering replacing my windows. I am not even sure if the window installers can reinstall the senors.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 12:41PM
ron6519

Your holding onto an old alarm for little apparent reason. There are newer technologies to secure your house that do not require window sensors.
Contact an alarm company for what's available.
You'll have a hard time finding a company who'll take over the wiring of another company
Ron

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 9:14PM
pdg777

"There are newer technologies to secure your house that do not require window sensors."

Ron, what is now used in place of window sensors? I have wireless window sensors that were installed about 5 years ago. I switched alarm companies (by the way, they were happy to use the existing sensors, motion detectors, and glass brakers). But the company I switched to were also going to offer window sensors.

Appreciate any information you can give on this. Thanks.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 9:37AM
backspace

I guess I can glue the sensors outside the window. I just didn't want to have to find an alarm company right away after I replace the windows. I am just trying to save a few bucks.

I just need a alarm to tell me which zone is not secured. So this old alarm will be suffie for me since I don't need it to call my cellphone or the cops.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™