anderson windows

anitachi123January 1, 2011

Hi

We are in the midst of building a house, and had anderson woodright windows installed a few months ago. Just a few days ago I opened and shut them for the first time. When I shut the window there was a long, reverberating twang coming from the window. Then I went around to all the windows and they all made the noise. The builder said The Anderson salesman said this is normal. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windslam

Yes, it's normal. If you look along the outer part of the sash, you see a fine, lets call it rope. You'll see it go up into a hole in the frame. There is a spring loaded pully in there that when you raise the window, recoils the rope onto the pully. This keeps the window up. When you lower the window, the spring gets tighter and makes the twang noise. With the window down, if you look at the sash and pull on the rope, you'll see it is taut and recoils back up in there when you let go. This takes the place of the old time sash weights that used to do the same job. You'll see this on each side of the window where the window tracks up along the frame.

Bookmark   January 1, 2011 at 5:53PM
macv

Look at the window sticker to make sure the windows are the 400 "Woodwright" model made by the Andersen Corporation for new construction and not a replacement window or a knock-off.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 9:59AM
dennisgli

My Andersen windows have the "twang" also.

Bookmark   January 8, 2011 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Where to purchase Spanish roof tiles? I just need 2 pieces.
One handyman came to my house to evaluate the price...
janesylvia
Pouring a new driveway
Hello everyone, first time poster. I'm ready to sign...
cin_ram1972
Garage door
Something strange happened last night. We were watching...
hoganjr
Need advice for gap under door frame
Hi, We had a contractor install pre-hung interior doors,...
pam27d2001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™