Exterior Wall Leak HELP!

clagaJanuary 16, 2012

Hi,

We had an exterior electrical outlet that was not weather tight. I have since weatherproofed it with exterior chauking. Thankfully I was able to open the interior wall of a closet to dry out remove the botton 1 foot of insulation which may have gotten wet from the leak. I scrubbed the wall studs and sheathing area with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda to kill any possible black mold. I did see a slight white discoloration/stain on the backside paper of the wallboard. I have wiped down the backside paper with the same solution. My question is should I replace the wallboard? Or will I be okay to replace the insulation and close up the wall?

Also there are three 2" round black spots on the hardwood flooring in the closet? Can there be mold under the hardwood flooring? If so should I rip it up?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

How long was it leaking/wet? 50/50 solution of water and bleach also is a mold killer. If it hasn't been exposed to leaking and/or has been wet for a considerable amount of time, I wouldn't worry too much about the floor. I would let everything dry out well before covering anything up.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 10:51AM
ionized_gw

Look up mold remediation with borax. Spray the wood with that before you button it up.

Since it is an interior closet wall, I 'd replace the drywall. It does not have to look pretty and it will be good practice for some other project that might be forced on you.

Black spots might or might not be mold. Wood flooring can turn black from water exposure only. I think I would let sleeping dogs lie in that case.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 2:11PM
brickeyee

Let it dry, check for mold, close it back up.

Folks seem to have lost sight that houses are built out in the weather.

It rains and snows on and in them before they are dried in.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 3:22PM
sierraeast

And a decent builder won't let it get covered up until the moisture content is at a resonable low. Cover it all up too quickly, which is all too common these days, and you get a lot of headaches!

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 4:58PM
renovator8

The sealant you fixed the leak with will eventually fail and leak again unless you check it often enough to be able to replace it before that happens.

Bookmark   January 19, 2012 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
Metal fence panels - steel or aluminum? Best brands?
I want to put up a fence to divide my side yard from...
ktmast
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™