work related disability compensation question

lisa11310March 20, 2012

Hi all, first time on this forum but been a member (birds, ponds, etc. 8 yrs) My Husband is 54 years old and has been working for the same company doing the same job for 28 years.It is a very physical job and quite frankly his body has worn out and he can no longer do his job (back pain). He has been to therapy & the pain clinic but our insurance does not cover much and our medical bills are HUGE! The company does not have a "desk job" for him. He has used up his FMLA time (they charged against him while he was on short term disability)and is nearly out of vacation time for the year. I am sure they will fire him soon for attendance. What kind of compensation is available for someone who has been a loyal employee for so long but is no longer able to do this kind of strenuous work? Please help with any suggestions, Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Does your state offer disabilty benefits? Many states do for about six months. After the six months is over, he can apply for Social Security Disabilty enefits, as long as he has a severe medical problem, cannot do any reasponable work, and does not have the education for desk work. I'm assuming he does not have much education?

    Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 8:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

He is by no means uneducated, he used to build houses in his spare time, knows all the codes etc but no he would have no clue how to work in an office and don't think he could stand it anyway.He is brilliant and talented in so many fields but they are all physical and his job has taken all those options away. I didn't think about disability at the State level but then he would never consider Medicaid or food stamps, we have way to many "slackers" working the system here in Michigan.SSDI will not be enough to live on so I was hoping there was some other kind of compensation for someone that's been "used up" on the job.

    Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 11:42AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Retiring Abroad: Costs of 12 cities
Does not cover healthcare, which can be complex enough...
Independent senior living in Indiana/Kentucky
I don't know where to start a search. The internet...
Downside of over 55 communities
I know the good things about an over 55 community but...
Can I draw SS on my husbands SS before he draws? SS...
A Will-how
MM (Mountain Man) and I are making wills. We do not...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™