disabled husbands benefits cancelled

MarciaBannerMarch 28, 2003

In Sept.1998 my husband suffered a massive stroke while driving home from work. He had been with the same company for 30 years. In Aug.2001 his company was sold to another Corp. In Nov.2003 this corp.(that had bought his Company)filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy.

On Fri. March l4, 2003 we received a letter saying his benefits would be cancelled as of March 17, 2003.

I don't know how we are going to pay for his meds. I can only work some (part-time which doesn't offer benefits) as his condition requires almost constant monitering. Cobra will cost almost $700.00 a month which is out of the question since all we have to live on is his disability and the little I make working part time. Does anyone know of any assistance we may be able to get. We are both 52.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I believe you need to contact SSI, you said you get disability benefits, and inform them of your reduced income. They will be able to advise you how to apply for Medicaid. At least in my state that's the procedure.
You Department of Social Services may also be of help.
I wish you the best possible outcome to your situation - it's a tough one.

    Bookmark   March 31, 2003 at 9:31AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Retiring Abroad: Costs of 12 cities
Does not cover healthcare, which can be complex enough...
What's Pretirement mean?
Hi guys. I want to hear your thoughts about this. I...
Retirement Property in PA
looking for retirement property in Pennsylvania, preferably...
Are insurance premiums a write off
when you file income tax this year? I'm talking Medicare...
Four wks to retirement - mixed feelings
My job totally changed a few months ago and it is no...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™