Ikea 36" uppers with glass fronts

chinchetteApril 15, 2013

This is for a flip I am doing. We ordered 36" uppers in Adel white, with glass fronts and glass shelves. Then I realized thats a little scary, to have that long a glass shelf. They are rated at 59lbs.

Does anyone seen these with the regular shelf instead of the glass? Does it look okay that way?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmiriam

I'm sure it would look fine, but I had a 36" Ikea cabinet with glass shelves. I kept plates and bowls on the bottom (not glass) shelf, and all of our glasses on the glass shelf above. I never had any problems, despite a not-very-careful DH.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 9:46PM
chinchette

So what I have are two 36" uppers and an 18" upper. A 24" pantry with pull-outs, a 15" pantry with pull-outs. My base cabinets are two 30' with 3 drawers, (2) 15" with 4 drawers.
Does that sound like enough storage so that heavy plates don't have to go on the glass shelves?

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:40PM
bons

I have the Ikea 36" Adel upper with glass shelves and I keep my dishes on them. I did line the shelves with a clear liner to soften the sound. That said, I'm not really into the glass shelves and will probably replace them with wood shelves from Ikea.

Bonnie

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:45PM
chinchette

Just curious, what is it you don't like about the glass?

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:52PM
Molly Phillips

We exchanged our glass shelves for wood and it looks fine. My everyday dishes go in them and I would have hated hearing any screeching sounds as my kids scraped the dish across the glass.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 7:39AM
mpagmom

I have 2 Ikea 36" uppers in my basement kitchenette and have no concerns about what I put on the glass shelves. They seem thick and sturdy, and I never noticed any noise when putting things on them. I have a puck light in each cabinet so I wouldn't consider the wood shelves. If it is for a flip I'm sure the solid shelves would look the same through the obscured glass and you could save some money.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Ikea Process?
We're re-thinking things and are now leaning towards...
annaw_123
Can anybody plz recommend a custom cabinetmaker in South Denver area?
Hello! This is my first time posting; I'm in the first...
ponderosafarm
Pot filler, Gooseneck or Pullout over Prep sink
I’ve searched the internet for similar topics but...
Gemcap
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™