Importance of nearby medical centers

Linda_in_CAMarch 5, 2002

I have an older friend who relocated after 10 years of retirement. She and her DH were on the Oregon coast with no medical centers nearby. After her DH died she moved to Medford where she has access to quality medical care. She keeps stressing to me the importance of retiring near a medical center which is why I am chosing Boise, ID as my retirement home.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

Besides medical care, which is important to check out what type etc, I feel transportation to stores, churches etc are important also. You cannot depend on friends all the time. Many communities have excellent Senior Citizens Centers with special busses, field trips, busses to grocery stores. I know Minot ND is that way. Boise is great also, but has some interesting weather. Lots of electic storms and snow in the winter. Nice craft shops and good stores. Don't know about public transportation.
Marie

Bookmark   March 7, 2002 at 1:28AM
ginger_st_thomas

Good point, Marie. I'm alone so I have to take transportation & health care facilities into effect even though I've always been lucky to have good health. Who knows what's in the future?

Bookmark   March 7, 2002 at 11:49AM
marciasc

It's a very good thing to look into especially if one of you is in poor health. There are retirement books that rate places to live and medical centers are one of the things rated.

We are very lucky as they opened a 55 yrs and older doctor's office 2 min. from us. We like both doctors that are in it and that sometimes is rare.

Bookmark   March 9, 2002 at 3:06PM
ginger_st_thomas

They actually have doctors who specialize in 55 & up??? I've been down here too long. . .

Bookmark   March 10, 2002 at 4:53PM
marciasc

Yes, Ginger.....sometimes they call them geriatric doctors but the dictionary says...Geriatrics is the science of diseases and care of the old.....and I DON'T consider people 55 years to be OLD. So I don't call the doctors that and they don't either. :~)

Bookmark   March 11, 2002 at 6:42PM
lkgrace345

I think nearby medical facilities/physicians are very important in our retirement decision. We live in an area with excellent and well known facilities and many of them specialize in the 55 and over age group.

Bookmark   March 20, 2002 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Retiring to vs. Retiring from
My DH and I are struggling with upcoming retirement....
cheerful1_gw
anyone have two homes in retirement
dh and i have been having trouble deciding where to...
zippity1
Elderly mother cancelled her long-term care policy
Apparently, the premiums were increasing significantly...
jewelisfabulous
Should my husband retire at age 55?
My husband will be 55 next Febuary and can retire with...
Happyladi
Retire from NJ to... Virginia? Pennsylvania ??
Hello All! I would just like some feedback. My husband...
Pattidanks
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™