Took off old backsplash--how to prep wall for new one?

probookieJanuary 4, 2011

Took off the old backsplash behind the bathroom vanity and patched the hole left by an electrical outlet moved to another location. The present surface (48" long x 8" high) is drywall minus the paper covering (except for the patch over the outlet hole). What should be done to prepare the surface so we can install another backsplash? Wetness is not an issue at this particular vanity. Thanks very much for any assistance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

What type of back-splash?

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 3:35PM
probookie

Thank you for responding, Brickeyee. The proposed backsplash is 1X1 tiles on a net backing. The brown paper wallboard left exposed after removing the old 4x4 tiles is a little rough in spots but has no gouges or holes. Thought I should inquire whether applying some sort of treatment is recommended, instead of just slapping on the thinset.

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 12:38PM
brickeyee

A kitchen back-splash is not a wet enough location to require cement backer board, though it can always be used.

A coat of primer to limit moisture movement into the base from the thin set would be a good idea.

If the thin set dries out before curing it will have greatly reduced strength, and wallbooard loves to absorb moisture.

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 3:53PM
probookie

Thank you very much for the explanation! My vague and unspecified anxiety about omitting an important step is now allayed.

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 7:08PM
homebound

Sand the rough stuff so it's flush/flat with the rest (any small voids that remain are ok). Then prime as mentioned.

If you happen to be using glass tiles, you can find a glass nipper (it has opposing cutting wheels) at a craft store. For some reason most tile supplies still don't carry that type of nipper.

One final bit of advice: consider your starting point carefully to limit the edge cuts elsewhere, like around outlets, edges of cabinets, etc.

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™