Retirement - military wife survivor?

bejay9_10March 20, 2008

I'm on SS - but my 20 year marriage to a deceased military man should bring in some sort of benefit - according to other wives in my position. I'm the surviving wife #1 with 2 others - who didn't get this far (I'm 86).

Whenever I've tried to find out any info about my possible status, I bump into a dead-end.

One thing - our marriage occurred prior to congress inacting this legislation - for survivor wife benefits.

Does anyone have any information as to where I can get some pertinent advice?

Bejay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

Where are you applying and at what place do you reach the dead end (and what in fact constitutes the 'dead end' in terms of answers)?

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 6:10PM
bejay9_10

Translation -

Would like information concerning pension benefits (if any) for military ex-spouses - with marriage of 10 years duration or more.

The military had their own pension plan - which was not tied to social security.

I'm looking for a website or address to contact for more information regarding possible benefits to ex-wives.
Any Internet addresses?

As of now, I'm not applying anywhere.

The term "dead end" is in reference to not finding viable information to my queries.

Bejay

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 9:27AM
leel

Your first port of call is the VA, and I mean call--via telephone.

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 3:44PM
oldmoose66

It is my understanding that your husband would have had to pay into the SBP annuity program with you as the beneficiary, or there is no benefit to you. The link below explains it pretty well.

Here is a link that might be useful: SBP Information

Bookmark   March 24, 2008 at 7:22PM
bejay9_10

oldmoose66 -

Thank you for the information. Our computers have been in the new server stages, but we finally made it (whee).

I will definitely check it out. My ex left a small fortune to the Marine Corps Education Foundation - so at least it - hopefully - is doing some good for some worthy military youngster. Heaven only knows our own could have used a little help then.

Appreciate the feed-back.

Bejay

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 1:07PM
Jonesy

My sister is almost 80 and she was married to a military man for 30 years. She doesn't get any pension at all. He was an officer, but not a high ranking one.

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 9:58PM
bejay9_10

It's my understanding that congress finally got around to passing the law about it. But for those of us early wives, there were no benefits. But I'm not sure if they re-worked that either.

Some later wives were more fortunate - especially those who were married at least 10 years.

Bejay

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 1:32PM
oldmoose66

Bejay - I think that the 10 year marriage thing is when a divorce takes place following 10 years of marriage and the retiree will be or is collecting retirement pay. Once the retiree dies, the retirement pay ends. Period. The SBP annuity mentioned above, is completely separate from the retirement pension.

You should contact a family law attorney who is familiar with military divorces, etc.

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 6:48PM
patti43

Bejay--I hope you are still checking your post. I'm not sure if you are eligible or not, but it is well worth checking into.

Here is a telephone number to call for help. 1-800-827-1000.

I do know that if you're eligible you will need a copy for his DD-214 (separation papers) and also a copy of his death certificate and probably a copy of your divorce decree. Maybe more stuff--you're dealing with the government, you know--haha! Copies of these are easily obtained--well, you have some work to do but it may be well worth it.

If you want to check it out on the Web further, Google "VA survivor benefits". There are several good government sites with info.

Please check into it. If you're eligible, it may be a nice monthly sum for you.

Good luck--Patti

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 12:22AM
More Discussions
Social Security at 62 - where to deposit funds?
Gonna be 62 in 2013 and I've decided to begin my Social...
YodaRules
Retirement Property in PA
looking for retirement property in Pennsylvania, preferably...
Karen10125
Four wks to retirement - mixed feelings
My job totally changed a few months ago and it is no...
colorcrazy
Elderly mother cancelled her long-term care policy
Apparently, the premiums were increasing significantly...
jewelisfabulous
social security benefits
I just reached age 62 and will continue to work full...
fuzzyapple
Sponsored Products
American Drew Tribecca 3 Piece Platform Bedroom Set in Root Beer Color
Beyond Stores
American Drew Tribecca Dresser w/ Landscape Mirror in Root Beer Color
Beyond Stores
American Drew Tribecca Drawer Chest in Root Beer Color
Beyond Stores
Taupe Allure Sheet Set
$39.99 | zulily
FIM 9.5' Square Cantilever Umbrella
LuxeDecor