Ever add up. . .

ginger_st_thomasMarch 17, 2002

Have you ever added up or figured out how much you save on a weekly basis using Senior Citizen/AARP discounts?

I've never paid attention to them because I don't qualify but what are some good deals you get by being "of a certain age?"

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aileen

It really doesn't amount to much for us. Most of the fast food places give a Senior Citizen discount or a free drink with the order. Some Resturants have a senior discount or menu with smaller portions. AARP kicks in at an earlier age than the SC discount. You can't get both.

Both of my favorite supermarkets give a SC discount on Wednesday. I don't get it because I like to either get my groceries on Saturday or Monday. It varies from 2 to 5 % of the total purchase. They don't honor AARP at all. Some department stores have regular SC days, and I would save a bundle if I planned ahead and waited for them. But I don't.

All motels that we use give the same amount either for AARP or for SC. We had AARP for years and years but never came across anything that would give AARP a better deal than the regular Senior discount. I guess it would depend on how active the Senior Citizens group was in that area.

For the first few years, if we wanted the SC discount, we had to ask for it. Now the wrinkles and gray make the age statement for us.

We get extra homestead exemption on property taxes. It's a good one too!! That, and the extra exemption on both Federal and STate income tax, is the biggest goodie of them all. I don't think we would ever eat out enough for the resturant discounts to amount to much. The savings at the supermarket would add up to about 200 a year, IF I could wait and buy everything at once on Wednesday. Never gonna happen, not in this life!! LOL

Bookmark   March 18, 2002 at 10:36PM
lkgrace345

We don't qualify for SC discounts yet. AARP, if I recall, membership is $10/yr. for the two of us. Last weekend we saved $16/day on hotel rooms. We also have AAA and were eligible for the same discount through them so it was an either/or situation. We do normally try to pick hotels/resorts/rental car agencies that partner with our airline so we get frequent flyer mileage also. If we use a specific credit card, we can get those miles doubled and sometimes tripled through airline and credit card specials.
I know this was a bit off topic but it just came to mind as something else to consider.

Bookmark   March 20, 2002 at 12:46PM
kathyg_in_mi

We got AARP 5 years ago. Hubby qualified, but didn't want to sign up. Then I told him we would save about $100 per year on our homeowners and auto insurance. All of a sudden he was happy to be "old".
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   March 20, 2002 at 10:57PM
goldy

You get discounts on your internet account if you belong to aol and a few others.You also save money on your insurance if you have them take it out of your checking account.When I first joined aarp it was $2.00 now I pay $10.00 but I dont mined because I do feel they really have our interest at heart.I did not feel this way at first but after haveing two insurance go out of bussiness in my state I was glad aarp took me. To death do us part.(smile) Goldy

Bookmark   March 25, 2002 at 5:12PM
lulie___wayne

So happy to have read these posts today. We are leaving for Florida tomorrow for a little vacation and California next month. I forgot all about my husand's AARP discount. He usually forgets too.
We will be sure to take advantage of it now, for not only the hotel discounts but other things mentioned.
Good and ready for some rest and relaxation. Thanks.
Lu in LA

Bookmark   May 27, 2002 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
Four wks to retirement - mixed feelings
My job totally changed a few months ago and it is no...
colorcrazy
What's Pretirement mean?
Hi guys. I want to hear your thoughts about this. I...
artparcell
Should my husband retire at age 55?
My husband will be 55 next Febuary and can retire with...
Happyladi
Elderly mother cancelled her long-term care policy
Apparently, the premiums were increasing significantly...
jewelisfabulous
Social Security at 62 - where to deposit funds?
Gonna be 62 in 2013 and I've decided to begin my Social...
YodaRules
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™