Roofer or handyman?

mary_md7January 2, 2009

We have water marks at the juncture of an exterior wall and it's ceiling, now running down one wall a bit. The first call I made to a roofing company, the person said "that's a classic sign of detatched gutters, you don't need a roofer, call a handyman."

So, do I call a handyman or another roofer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

A busy roofer might not consider this worth his time and effort to look at and perform what is probably an easy fix. A handyman who has experience with roofing and other types of exterior repairs should be able to help you.

    Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 2:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

First take a good look at it. Is there ice with water ponded behind it? Is the gutter or facia loose? Are there shingles missing?

Most roofing problems are obvious but you have to get up there and look at it.

    Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 4:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Number one---no one---and I mean NO ONE---can diagnose a water leak over the phone or the Internet. The only way is to see---and physically test(if necessary) the problem area.

The least expensive solution of which I can think is to hire a reliable experienced handyman to diagnose the problem.

Otherwise, find a reliable roofer who will come out and look. The problem there is determining a reliable roofer----there are a LOT more fly by nighters than experienced diagnosticians. It is not difficult to slap opn shingles---I taught total no cluers how to do that for Habitat for Humanity volunteers in less than an hour on a weekly basis.

    Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 5:38PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
Help With Siding Repair
I have a problem which is ... this: That is a slat...
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™