What will happen if I retire early?

New_ZealandFebruary 22, 2002

I plan to retire at age 59 1/2 in seven more years. I am wondering how that will affect my SS payments at age 62? I have made enough money over the years to get the maximum benifits if I worked until I am 62, but will that monthly amount drop if I quite working early? I know I have time yet to find this out, but I have been planning to retire early for many years now, sell the stick built house and buy a nice motorhome and travel this big beautiful country of ours.

Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minnie_tx

You can get a statement from SS as to what your benefits will be when you retire. At 62 or at full term.
I retired at 59 and took early SS at 62. I got and get only 1/2 of what I would have received if I had waited until 65 to take the SS. I think whatever you have built up stays in your account until you actually take the SS. It depends on whether you claim SS early or wait the full time. But give the office a call I found they were very helpful.

Bookmark   February 25, 2002 at 1:40AM
More Discussions
Should my husband retire at age 55?
My husband will be 55 next Febuary and can retire with...
Happyladi
A Will-how
MM (Mountain Man) and I are making wills. We do not...
farmerkaren
Life in the Villages
Betty, My hubby and I are thinking about moving to...
PattyDee600
Looking forward to retirement in a few years
Hi, I am new here and joined this forum as I am looking...
mummy1234
Already own or buying a condo in Florida?
Beware! http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/articles/2015/2/6/florida-condo-law.html...
jewelisfabulous
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™