Ever had your foundation repaired?
We have a 30-year-old house, slab-on-grade, and the foundation is cracked. Based on sticky doors, one big crack in a wall that expands and contracts with the dryness of the soil, and some cracks in the floor--I'm fairly certain the foundation needs to be underpinned. Before I pop for a structural engineer, I was hoping to get some ballpark figures.
Has anyone here ever had to repair a slab foundation? If so,
1. How much was the engineer's inspection?
2. How much did the repair cost and how big was the slab?
3. What kind of repair did you have done? Cable? pre-stressed concrete pilings? steel pipe?
4. How long did it take?
5. How disruptive was the repair work?
6. How much (if any) repair work (new cracks, broken windows, cracked door jambs, broken tile) was made necessary by the underpinning?