When is a SAHW retired?

angelcubFebruary 28, 2006

Hi all! I'm a SAHW (stay at home wife) - have not worked outside the home for at least five years, other than teaching occasional quilting classes. I didn't "retire" in the traditional sense from my last job, just stopped working. I don't plan on returning to the work force, but if something interesting came along I might. I don't have a pension - just a loving DH with a very good and secure job. He will probably retire in 6-7 years, maybe sooner if offered early retirement.

It seems SAHW/Ms aren't often included in retirement dialogue. This is not a critique - just an observation. I do the majority of the housework, laundry, cooking, bookkeeping/money management, gardening, vacation planning, holiday planning/cooking/shopping, relative management (ha!), and shopping in general (not complaining about that!). So, am I retired? If not, when would you consider me retired?

Diana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doteroo

If you husband hires a maid then you will be semi-retired but you'll never be completely retired until you kick over. Neither will I.

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 9:30PM
ritaotay

Sorry but a SAHW can't retire... If they did who would do all the housework, laundry, cooking, bookkeeping/money management, gardening, vacation planning, holiday planning/cooking/shopping, relative management, shopping in general and everything else...

Rita

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 1:39AM
angelcub

LOL! The maid probably won't materialize, so my DH will have to do. He does look cute in an apron. ; )

While I do most of the above mentioned work, I should add that my DH is always willing to help. It's just he's gone from about 6 am to 6 pm, 5 days a week, so I "just do it." I'm a morning person and am usually done with whatever "housework" I have scheduled for that day by noon. It's just the two of us, so things don't get very messy.

I often feel retired. My days are my own to do with as I please. I have certain days I do certain work, but I rarely feel I must get something done. So maybe I'm semi-retired. I think about DH's retirement a lot. I am really looking forward to the day when he does. I've even been checking into places to retire to if we relocate. Well, someone has to do it! : )

Thanks for your input!
Diana

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 5:26PM
joyfulguy

Sometimes during my 20 years as a personal financial advisor I had seminars dealing with retirement.

One day, having endured the retirement party, plus all the good-byes, Tom took his tools, pictures, supplies, etc. home with him from his last day of work.

Next morning, after having enjoyed the luxury of sleeping in, he sat in his favourite chair, reading the paper.

After a few minutes, he lowered it, looked around, then picked it up and read some more.

Soon he put it down again, looked around ... and contemplated a bit.

After half a dozen episodes like this, Susie asked, "Something wrong, Tom"?

Tom asked, "Where's breakfast?"

To which Susie asked in reply, "You retired yesterday, didn't you?"

"Yeah, sure - you know that. What's that got to do with anything"? asked Tom, a bit abruptly.

"So did I", replied Susie, sweetly.

Then she continued, "I'll tell you what - I'll get breakfast, now. And then we'll sit down and discuss who's going to do what, around here".

We don't have a report of Tom's reply to this "suggestion".

Funny - this story seems quite a bit more popular with females than with males.

Have a great weekend - Oh, I forgot: when you're retired ... **every day is weekend**!!

ole joyful

Bookmark   March 3, 2006 at 5:36PM
ritaotay

Cute joke Joyful Guy but I have a feeling I know what Tom's reply was.... LOL

As for me... Well, early in our marriage hubby decided to fix breakfast one weekend... He made 'scrambled' eggs... We were low on milk so he used Vernor's ginger ale... Then to make it more substantial he added sauerkraut... I ended up banning him from my kitchen.

Then last Wednesday he was upset because his favorite shirt wasn't washed so he took it upon himself to 'do the laundry'.... On Thursday I had to go out and buy a new washing machine...

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that after 'retiring' from the phone company that I'd be a SAHW who could NEVER retire...

Oh well, such is life.... In my next life I'm coming back as a man... LOL

Rita

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 12:03AM
joyfulguy

Rita,

I'll bet!

o j

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 2:15PM
joyfulguy

Rita,

No reply?

I'm disappointed in you!

o j

Bookmark   March 14, 2006 at 6:47PM
devorah

Rita, you've been had by a master manipulator. Thanks for the laugh. I wonder what would have happened if you had eaten all your eggs and asked for more. My husband's first attempts at cooking were really awful, but I kept praising him and he got better. He will never be good, but when I am tired, "good enough" is good enough.

Bookmark   March 15, 2006 at 10:51AM
ritaotay

Well Joyful Guy they say a leopard can't change his spots... LOL

Actually I think I was a man in a previous life and now I'm paying for it, big time... LOL

Rita

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 9:00AM
joyfulguy

Rita,

I don't have a thing to say ...

... who am I to question your judgement?

o j

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 2:37PM
ritaotay

LOL

Why not? Everyone else does... LOL

Rita

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 7:13PM
joyfulguy

Rita,

Before you start out on the daily round, look yourself in the bathroom mirror, grin, and say, "I ain't stupid!".

Probably no one else will offer you such authentication.

Have a great week.

ole joyful

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 8:03PM
joyfulguy

Rita,

If a leopard doesn't pursue - change his/her "spot"s ...

... s/he doesn't eat!

They can't just sit there, open their mouths and have prey walk in.

But some retired men seem to think that such should be their lot - more or less.

Right?

o j

Bookmark   May 20, 2006 at 10:54PM
joyfulguy

Rita,

... where are you?

o j

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
social security benefits
I just reached age 62 and will continue to work full...
fuzzyapple
Four wks to retirement - mixed feelings
My job totally changed a few months ago and it is no...
colorcrazy
Should my husband retire at age 55?
My husband will be 55 next Febuary and can retire with...
Happyladi
neighbors dumpster
This is not an appropriate topic for this forum but...
victory_tea2085
anyone have two homes in retirement
dh and i have been having trouble deciding where to...
zippity1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™