Question about Certainteed Winter Guard Ice & Water Shield

goldensmomJanuary 31, 2009

I had a new roof put on 6/10/01 with a guaranteed 25 year material & labor contract.

I live in the poconos in pa and had severe leaks resulting from ice damns along the edge of the house. As I could not locate this roofer I called another who came out and took off the ice & cleared out the gutters. He said that if I had winter guard ice and water shields installed this would have never happened. I told him I had them installed and he lifted one of the shingles up and said no you don't it's just thin black paper.

Can anyone tell me what Certainteed Winter Guard Ice & Water shields look like?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

Here's the website:

Here is a link that might be useful: winter gaurd

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 10:29PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Remember that Certainteed isn't the only company that makes this kind of product. They come in a couple of colors in the gray to black range. In any case, they are thin, rubberish, and very sticky on one side. Not at all like traditional roofing felt. The manufacturer/brand name is often clearly printed on it too.

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 1:30PM
mightyanvil

"Ice & Water Shield" is a trade name of WR Grace (now Grace Construction Products). They invented and have been making this type of waterproofing membrane for over 40 years. It is a flexible self-adhering modified-bitumen (asphalt) membrane with a polyethylene sheet on the top face. It is the same as Vycor 40 window flashing but with a non-slip surface for use on a roof. They also make masonry through-wall flashings, butyl-based membranes, and vapor permeable liquid-applied membranes.

CertainTeed and other roofing manufacturers have finally gotten around to selling a copy of Ice & Water Shield as part of their "roofing system" in order to sell it.

I strongly recommend staying with WR Grace products and carefully following their recommendations for roofing and window detailing instead of those from window and housewrap manufacturers; Grace is run by waterproofing pros in an industry increasingly dominated by marketing and advertising people. When designing major buildings I have run every detail by their reps and they have never let me down.

Here is a link that might be useful: WR Grace roofing underlayments

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
shufflehop
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
kashka_kat
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
Sponsored Products
Foscarini | Tropico Ellipse Suspension Lamp
YLighting
Icicle Opal Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$182.16 | Bellacor
Abetta Wide Flex Sublime Super Cushion Trail Saddle - 20500FW6BK
$449.30 | Hayneedle
nuLOOM Handmade Modern Disco Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Zenna Home Cabinets 20 in. x 30 in. Frameless Oval Swing Door Surface-Mount
Home Depot
Sample-Allure Daydream Haze Glass and Marble Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Cubitec Doors or Backs (Set of 2)
Design Within Reach
Halo Swinging Lighted Vanity Mirror
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™