Anyone live in Florida?

downsouthFebruary 10, 2005

DH has his mind on buying a mobile home in the Orlando area and I told him the property taxes may be so high, that we could not afford even a mobile home. Are property taxes extremely high in Florida?

What other expenses would we incur (if anyone lives there and has a mobile home that can give us some insight)? We still want to keep a residence in Georgia, so a mobile home would be the only option for us in Florida.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jonesy

I can't answer your questions, but your post reminds me of something I saw in the travel section of our local newspaper about "The Disney Syndrome". After visiting Disney world, a lot of people want to move to Florida. The author said, "what they don't understand is the traffic is bumper to bumper, the heat is terrible and the bugs as as big as cars. I think he makes a good point.

Bookmark   March 8, 2005 at 12:32PM
minnie_tx

After all the hurricanes Florida has had I wonder how much the insurance on a Mobile Home would cost.I lived in Miami for over 30 years and a mobile home is not where I would want to be in a hurricane. Unless you own property you'd have to put it in a Mobile Home Park probably.

Bookmark   March 8, 2005 at 7:02PM
olddog1213

I live in a 55+ mobile home park in central florida (not in the Orlando area) and my property taxes are about $100.00 per year. My insurance just went up to $318.00 per year. As for hurricanes,I have lived here since 1950 and we only had 1 hurricane through here before last year. Take your pick....snow and ice, floods, tornados, forest fires, earth quakes, drought. We all have something to worry about.

Bookmark   March 31, 2005 at 6:59AM
tonylyn

Olddog thanks for that info. I cannot wait until I become a snowbird, I will take my chances with the hurricanes just so I can be warm in the winters. I am so tired of snow, ice and bone numbing wind chills. AAHHH Florida is where I want to be.

Linda

Bookmark   April 30, 2005 at 7:29PM
gramma_jan_mn_zn_4

south, Those insurance companies. Seems they keep finding new ways to limit policies or not pay when you need them and after years of paying in also. Some are even having trouble getting new homes insured.

Tonylyn, You have it wrong. As snowbirds we have the best of both worlds: more moderate summers and the hurricane season is over by the time we head for FL. BTW: Costs vary a lot depending on where in FL.
jan

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 9:13PM
gramma_jan_mn_zn_4

The home parks are not like in the north. Some are quite nice with beautiful if small, landscaping etc. Just look around, better yet, walk around visit with the people, see what the park and management are like.
Good luck.
jan

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 9:17PM
crystal153

We wanted to buy a condo in Florida for seasonal use but all the hurricanes have changed our minds. Do you rent in a mobile park? I would hate to have to worry about a home I owned in a mobile park community.

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 9:27PM
IveyRose

We lived in Florida for 17 years. At first it was cheap living, but things have changed so much. The taxes and homeowner insurance have doubled or tripled along with the housing costs. We withstood 4 hurricanes in 2004 in our area and this Spring we sold our home and moved to Georgia. We will go back for visits, but not during hurricane season. It was much too stressful for us. Damaged trailer parks and beachfront property have been purchased by investors in many areas, and very expensive condos have replaced former inexpensive housing. You may want to do some research before you make a decision.

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 11:45AM
waldorf

I have to agree with oldog1213. We love living in FL. We came from PA due to my health. The taxes are about $100/yr. for only the carpot & lania not on the house. We have our house up for sale right now we are moving to another 55+ community due to the fact we need more room for company. If I can help you with any other questions, you can email.
I hope this helps.

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 11:14AM
lilyhead

We lived in Valrico for 5 years. Amazing how much water costs, considering how much there is....even in the aquifers underground. I hear it's the cost of purification that raises the price so much. Here in Charlotte, NC we love being able to water and not worry about the costs...... we are aware of drought conditions occasionally. Everyday for me in Fla. was a new discovery... I loved the space launches, lizards, frogs in wind chimes and door sliders, spoonbills feeding along the roads..... sandhill cranes with youngsters at the mall..... so many new things for a kid from Indiana. Enjoy it all. Lily

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 3:20PM
bigfoot_liz

i also agree that it depends on where in FL you live and also what you think is expensive. i came here 8 yrs ago from chicago where $1mil townhouse is cheap and property tax is close to 30%. i live in seminole co and have an old home from '69. my insurance for 1500sq ft is $750 (hurricane deductible $2500) it has gone up $200 each yr since 04'. in 04' we had 3 hurricanes that damaged our house, fence, trees and property. my insurance claim for a new roof and repairs was denied because my roof was several yrs old already LOL. i spent more than $10K out of pocket repairing damages, i don't dare file a claim for anything or i could (most likely would) be dropped. then i'd have to go to Citizens and pay an average of $1300 for insurance. my dh will be finishing his degree in 2 yrs and we will be moving to a mid-level priced home but i will never ever invest more $$ in a house in FL than i can afford to walk away from. after what we went thru w/ the insurance & the hurricanes i feel like you really have nothing as a safety net in insurance. i know too many people who also got nothing from insurance (or FEMA or anyone) and had to go on and pick up the pieces.

more than likely your homeowners insurance is going to be higher than property taxes. property taxes is also dependent on where you live. the nicer & more desirable the area the more you pay. i don't know exactly what i pay, somewhere around $1200 assessed around $100K (houses selling around $275K in my area which is the average first home cost) but it does go up a few hundred $$ a yr due to schools, city stuff, our subdivision got a beautiful brick wall surrounding us, etc... i don't know anything about mobile homes thou. definitely look around, there is a huge difference between seminole, orange, osceola, polk and lake co as far as costs, taxes, amenities, recreation etc...and as you get further from these areas things get even cheaper. ~ liz

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 10:10PM
wintero

Beautiful manufactured re-sales located in 55+ communities, central florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: ReneesResales

Bookmark   November 20, 2006 at 1:26PM
crystal153

Manufactured homes are easily flattened by hurricanes. They are cheap but there's also a lot of risk.

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 10:34PM
inkwell35

I am retiring from teaching in May and would like to live in a 55+ mobile retirement community where you can purchase the property you live on--not on the water--perhaps inland some. I lost my husband a year ago, and have a place on the lake in Tn I will keep. Would someone recommend something for me. I can be emailed at inkwell35@gmail.com or I will watch for the posting here. Thank you in advance.

Bookmark   August 16, 2007 at 9:47PM
nelles_gw

Inkwell:

I live at The Plantation of Leesburg, an active adult community in Central Florida, that has some older manufactured homes, as well as newer stick-built & concrete block homes. I BELIEVE you would own your lot if you have a manufactured home, but I'm not 100% sure.

Here's a link for some resales.

Also, you might want to consider The Villages, a LARGE active adult community that's about 20 miles north of Leesburg. The Villages, too, has older manufactured homes. Try Googling The Villages.

To be honest, if I were single/widowed, I'd consider The Villages first, as the community is very large, with lots of activities.

HTH,
Ellen

Here is a link that might be useful: The Plantation of Leesburg

Bookmark   August 18, 2007 at 8:44AM
mab222

I live in Cape Coral, FL and yes, the taxes are EXTREMELY high. However, there is an ammendment going on the November 2008 ballot that will cut property taxes by 25%. Voters are expected to approve the ammendment, however sales tax will take the hit to compensate for it. We also own a vacation home in the mountains of Western North Carolina, and our taxes are 80% less than in Florida. Check out the website below for more housing opportunities in the mountains:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain Homes and Cabins

Bookmark   March 24, 2008 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
Retiring Abroad: Costs of 12 cities
Does not cover healthcare, which can be complex enough...
jkom51
neighbors dumpster
This is not an appropriate topic for this forum but...
victory_tea2085
Retire from NJ to... Virginia? Pennsylvania ??
Hello All! I would just like some feedback. My husband...
Pattidanks
Downside of over 55 communities
I know the good things about an over 55 community but...
mergie
"forced" early retirement
Hi, all, new here & glad to see this forum! My...
randnday
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™