insulating a basement

star9763January 1, 2009

Can someone tell me if it is worth it to insulate a basement of a house. I have read that it is a waste of money. is this true?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

That depends on the use and design of the basement.

Insulating a walkout used as a living/play space makes sense.

I have a fully underground basement(with a cellar type entrance into my wood shop) that does not need insulated, it is quite cool all summer and 72 degrees in the winter.

I finished a huge basement in a friends house and insulated part of it for better, more even temperature control.

Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 2:27PM
manhattan42

If your basement is heated or cooled by design or default, then the walls need to be insulated.

Even if the walls are nearly completely underground, they still need to be insulated because a considerable amount of energy is lost through the foundation walls into the soil.

Insulating the walls of even an underground basement always makes sense because lost energy means money wasted on unecessary heating and cooling.

If your basement contains no furnaces, boilers or similar devices that condition the space, then the ceiling of the basement should be insulated.

Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 10:26AM
rkalbo

I put a 1.5 inchs of foam on my basement wall raised my basement temp 10 deg in the winter and nice and cool in the summer money well spent

Bookmark   January 10, 2009 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Roof repair -- fair price?
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here and...
vashts85
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™