House built on slab - water leaking in

mommabirdJanuary 1, 2013

I am asking for a friend. Her house is built on a slab. It appears the ground is flat around it - not sloped away at all. Water is leaking around the base of the house, coming in and ruining the baseboard and bamboo flooring.
I know nothing about slab built houses. Is the ground supposed to slope away, like it does if the house has a basement or crawl space?

Also - the house has vinyl siding applied over the original wood siding. At the bottom of the siding is a J channel. Is there supposed to be a J channel at the bottom? Doesn't that catch the water that runs down the siding?

The house is about 50 years old. They recently took up carpet in a bedroom, so they can see the gap between the floor and the baseboard. It looks like the bottom of the framing is rotting from the water leaking in. How in the world would they repair that? The house is 2 story I. That spot.

Sorry I don't have pictures. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

The ground should definately slope away from the house. The slab should not be at ground level, either, but at least a few inches above it, as should framing components that can wick up moisture.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 10:43AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

As a quick fix, you can dig a ditch around the perimeter that will carry the runof away from the home. But the real long term solution is regrading the yard and proper gutters on the home. As well as doing the now needed structural repairs ASAP after the regrading occurs. This is a MAJOR issue that needs to be addressed in a timely manner.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 10:57AM
massz

You know the Vent Cap is an eco-friendly, re-usable cap system, used to seal residential heating and cooling vents in home. While most commonly used for an energy audit�s duct system testing, the vent cap can also be used to aid duct cleaning. Their is also used a unique system that is "duct leakage test procedure". It gives An essential addition to your air duct leakage testing equipment, vent cap systems replace the cumbersome and expensive plastic register sealing films, like duct musk, used in duct blaster testing

Here is a link that might be useful: duct leakage test procedure

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
Pouring a new driveway
Hello everyone, first time poster. I'm ready to sign...
cin_ram1972
T1-11 siding: Replacing rusted z-flashing?
I have several questions about z-flashing for T1-11...
rogerv_gw
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
Sponsored Products
Tech Lighting | Veryon LED Head
$276.80 | YLighting
Foxcroft Pewter 6-Light 27" Wide Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Cozy Cottage Bird House - White with Pine Shingle Roof
Signature Hardware
Real Carriage Rustic Alder Plank - BDK-AL-3681-N-WX
$830.00 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Satin Aluminum Ceiling Fan and Light Kit
Overstock.com