How to match ceiling paint

emersonsfJanuary 3, 2006

I would like to touch up some spots on the ceiling without painting the whole ceiling. How do I go about matching the paint color. Do paint stores have samples of ceiling paint that I can hold up against the old paint and try to match? Am I going to have to try to cut off some of the old paint and take it to the store.

Thanks for any help

emersonsf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdello

matching ceiling paint is no different than matching any other painted surface. Many paint supply stores now have a scanner which, if you bring in a decent sized paint chip of the exisiting material, will scan it and then produce a recipe for a custom blended paint that should be close to the existing. The store will then mix you up a batch.

Absent the ability to scan a chip, you need to note the finish, flat/gloss/semi-gloss/egg shell, etc. Most ceilings are painted flat. Also look at the color charts to see the closest match. Lastly, you might consider doing a couple of spots and verify that your results are good before doing them all.

If it's water stains that you're covering, you'll liklely need to prime first. Loose/peeling paint should always be removed before recoating.

Good luck and HTH

Bookmark   January 3, 2006 at 12:15PM
Michael_H

How long has the ceiling paint been there?

Do you have a smooth or textured ceiling?

Is there damage? If so, describe the damage.

If it's older than a year, even the identical paint may not match it enough to be an invisible repair.

Michael

Bookmark   January 3, 2006 at 7:52PM
marvelousmarvin

You'll be lucky if they can match it. It is extremely difficult to do it by eye.

I recently repainted the ceilings. And, it was fine when I was finished. But, there was a poor patch job done years ago which I finally decided to fix. However, I knew I didn't have enough left over ceiling paint to put three coats on it. But, I still had enough to bring it to Home Depot, where I had bought the first ceiling paint and asked them to match it.

For the first batch, I had tweaked to try to match it to the other ceilings. So, the formula on the can was no longer true, but I figured with paint leftover in the can, they should be able to match it.

It wasn't even close. Its so off, that I think I might just have to repaint everything with this different colored ceiling paint.

Bookmark   January 9, 2006 at 8:40PM
sdello

I had some aged exterior paint matched by a local hardware store. I brought in a chip of the old paint that I scraped of. It is my understanding that they can match a dried color more easily than matching paint in a can.

Of course white is probably the most difficult color to match.

Bookmark   January 10, 2006 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
kashka_kat
Help With Siding Repair
I have a problem which is ... this: That is a slat...
justme4now
Sponsored Products
Ocean Metallic 30" High Oval Twist Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Florence Mini Chandelier
$330.00 | Horchow
David Bromstad "Hopeful" Artwork
Grandin Road
Bracket System - BRACKET
$52.99 | Hayneedle
Covington One-Light Outdoor Wall Lantern in Painted Bronze
$68.00 | Bellacor