subsidized housing

monica2001January 6, 2003

This is a word of encouragement for those of you who are of retirement age, but for some reason, life has not allowed you to save the necessary funds. You don't have to live with your children. Subsidized housing can be very nice. There are certain hints that I will pass on: Don't look for good housing in a large city. (crime, etc.) go to a smaller city. Check out the places that are funded by a religious group (Lutheran run are great) Some will allow you to have a pet or two and a garden if you want. Some provide trips to the local stores every week. All this for an amount set by your income. The big thing you must remember is to search; go to the library, use the internet, write to religious groups and ask questions. Don't give up and work until you die on the job.

I realize that most of you have saved retirment funds for many years to retire. But if you have not been able to do that there is still a nice retirement out there if you will search for it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BigMama

Monica I think your mentioning that here is great because I have known a few people who lived in the units and they were very nice apartments and it provided a nice close knit group for the retirees. the only ones I have seen were in Texas but they were very nice....nothing fancy but nice.

Bookmark   January 16, 2003 at 1:55PM
goldy

I live in one and its the next thing to a good vacation.No problems and no worries.If for some reason you are takeing care of your grands they are allowed to stay with you.Its a law.I have my pet dog and a great parking space .A bus to pick up the ones who have no transportation.I love it.Some of the people here never had it so good.But they sit in the lobby and complain.The best thing is to find something to do in your life because you will become bored because everything is done for you except paying the rent.

Bookmark   February 8, 2003 at 12:06PM
joyfulguy

Goldy,

My old Grandma, born in '62, came to help in our home after my Mom got sick in '35 and Grandpa died about the same time. We had hired help in the farm, with wife helping in our (large - 7 bedroom, but no running water in bathroom, no fridge, wood-fired kitchen range) home.

But when the War came in 1939, all of the hired men were gone to war. What Dad and his 10, 7 and 6 years olds were able to do, got done - the rest didn't.

Grandma had serious inward curvature of spine, which hampered her - but wasn't routinely painful.

She used to say,

"Some people would complain - if they were going to be hanged!"

joyful guy/Ed

Bookmark   February 11, 2003 at 2:34AM
More Discussions
Retirement Property in PA
looking for retirement property in Pennsylvania, preferably...
Karen10125
Social Security at 62 - where to deposit funds?
Gonna be 62 in 2013 and I've decided to begin my Social...
YodaRules
Already own or buying a condo in Florida?
Beware! http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/articles/2015/2/6/florida-condo-law.html...
jewelisfabulous
"forced" early retirement
Hi, all, new here & glad to see this forum! My...
randnday
Four wks to retirement - mixed feelings
My job totally changed a few months ago and it is no...
colorcrazy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™