Foundation Repair - Hole For Well Hose

gahalifax2010January 18, 2014

Hello, I have a large hole in my foundation where the hose for the well enters the house and connects to the pump. The hole is approx 1 foot in diameter and opens up into a hollow space that appears to be under the foundation. The hole is located in my crawl space we use for storage and mice are entering the house here. The previous owners had stuffed pink insulation into the house but of course that does not stop mice or the draft that comes from this.

I want to plug this up to keep out the mice and drafts but not impact the hose for the well or making servicing or replacing the hose problematic. I plan to use some expanding spray foam along with a layer of steel wool. Can anyone think of a reason not to, or a better way? I did not want to get involved in using a mortar or mix if possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

So, why not end the problem forever, rather than a stop-gap?
Mortar a double ended rigid male fitting, a short hose on the inside and the supply on the out side.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 12:02PM
bus_driver

My personal favorite is to use a piece of 2" PVC through the wall, run the well piping through that (if it is a single pipe) and caulk with silicone between the PVC sleeve and the pipe. Mortar would be one way to fill around the outside of the PVC. I have better results if I add a bit of Portland cement to the mortar to richen the mixture. But the Portland cement is sold in bags of 94 pounds and needs to be used soon after opening the bag. Wet the old masonry before applying the new.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 2:33PM
southerncanuck

Bus driver is bang on. I would use a 3" sleeve to easily change the line if need be. Put a threaded cap on each end with a hole cut to take the hose. Seal with silicone.

If you spray foam you will never be able to easily change the line without ripping the entire patch out. No steelwool please.

As Mike my pal Holmes says, Do it right.

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
Roof leak - best way to find it?
Hi Everyone, I am a condo owner in New Jersey and own...
cpannetti
Garage door
Something strange happened last night. We were watching...
hoganjr
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
padfoot4768
Sponsored Products
Wolf Sleep Accents Renewal Queen-size Mattress and Foundation Set
Overstock.com
48'' Calistoga Kilim Wool-Blend Runner
$8.99 | zulily
Joy Carpets Hokey Pokey Kids Area Rug Multicolor - 54-B
$121.00 | Hayneedle
Peyton 6-Light Chandelier by Feiss
$320.00 | Lumens
Matador Brown Striped Leather Flat Weave Round: 6 Ft. x 6 Ft. Rug
$113.95 | Bellacor