What to use to Fill driveway expansion joint?

stash-hdyJanuary 31, 2008

My driveway has shifted over time which is very common for the area. The expansion gap is now close to an inch in width. My area uses a product called Deck O Seal which is a self leveling joint sealer around pools. It is meant for gaps less than 1/2 inch so I can't use it. I have seen around the area a similar material to close up wider gaps, does anyone know its name? I could use a 3/4 board and fill the gap with Deck O Seal but it would be easier to fill the entire gap with a self leveler.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

At HD, etc, they have 3/4" x 3" x 6 or 8' expansion joints that are tar impregnated fiberboard. After that is inserted/hammered into the gap, a better-appearing sealer can be applied on top.

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 9:05PM
ron6519

HD has a self leveling material I've used in the past. It's made by Sikka. You fill in the depth with backer rod and seal the 1/2" deep surface with the compound. It's in the concrete aisle.
Ron

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 12:22AM
stephanymitchell

I've used a pavement sealant from Dow Corning for the expansion joints on my driveway and front sidewalk. I really liked it because it installs easily and can handle concrete movements well. It has been holding up great since last summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Expansion Joints

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 4:57PM
brickeyee

"I've used a pavement sealant from Dow Corning for the expansion joints on my driveway and front sidewalk. I really liked it because it installs easily and can handle concrete movements well. It has been holding up great since last summer."

Make sure the sealer is rated for the driveway material.

Not all concrete sealers/fillers work with asphalt.
The presence of oil products in the asphalt can interfere with bonding and hardening.

The same is true for asphalt products.
They can contain solvents designed to improve bonding to asphalt that will stain concrete and provide no benefit.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™