Drywall Repair Help

malibujason79January 15, 2011

I have a door way in our great room that has a small hair line crack in the top corner from the house settling. The opening is finished drywall, with metal corner bead. What is the best way to go about repairing this in hopes that it will not come back. With corner bead I have always installed it on new drywall and applied 3 coats of mud to finish it out. The opening has no trim around it, and if I try to tape it, I don't think I can feather it out correctly being on right on the edge/corner. Would it be best to V cut the crack and fill it with mud? Any thoughts or input would be great.

Thanks Jason

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don92

The V groove is the correct way to go but then you must put fiber tape over the crack and then use durobond instead of common joint compound. Feather it way out and you should be fine. Most times a crack in that location means they put a joint at that spot instead of wrapping the corner.

Bookmark   January 15, 2011 at 8:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drywall_diy_guy

What you describe is a very common problem caused by a joint occurring at the corner. The cold temps cause stress to occur, cracking the joint. The sure solution is to remove drywall around your door and replace so there is no joint at the corner, but that is a fairly big job. A quicker solution that might work would be to retape using high-strength crack repair tape (See Link Below). I repaired a similar crack a year ago with this tape and it is still holding up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Repair Drywall Cracks

Bookmark   January 15, 2011 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™