Roof / Garage Door / Shutters

lovestotravelSeptember 18, 2012

All,

Daughter is in process of purchasing this house :) It definitely needs a roof immediately (not yet leaking thank goodness) and garage door since current one is old and also broken. Would appreciate color suggestions for roof & shutters, as well as garage door style, to give her a variety of options for viewing!! These are major decisions for a first home, as well as expenditures... Although siding needs a good cleaning, it looks to be a keeper for a while. Thanks in advance and please let me know if I have posted in the wrong forum!! Shar

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pianolady007

There are paint programs available for free online. Sherwin Williams has one. Upload a photo and try a bunch of combinations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams Paint Visualizer

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 5:31PM
virgilcarter

I'd start with a dark valued roof, using an "architectural" grade shingle (has greater thickness and surface depth than a standard shingle).

Thereafter, I'd unify and match the door and window trim colors. I'd also consider repainting all of the siding so that the overall house appearance is unified and harmonous, rather than the changeout of just a few items such as shutters and garage door.

A color scheme I like with warm brick is a grey-green siding with muted red window frames and door frames. Front door could match or be a harmonious accent color, ie, yellow, sienna, etc. Garage door replacement could have a strip of rectangular windows at the top panel of the door, or simply be a solid door. Garage doors are so large that they tend to visually dominate the house elevation where they are located, so the best bet is to paint them a dark valued hue that recedes and does not call attention to itself. In the color scheme suggested above, it could be a neutral grey or dark green. Using a computer-based color selector, suggested above, is a good idea. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 9:07AM
Annie Deighnaugh

I just posted this pic from houzz.com for another person....a nice combo you might reverse by painting the trim and shutters in the greige tones.

Traditional Exterior design by Dc Metro Interior Designer Grossmueller's Design Consultants

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 9:48AM
angel411

If it were me, I love the combo of white brick and a dark taupe color on the siding. Then black shutters and a black roof (or dark gray).

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 10:33AM
lovestotravel

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful ideas! I don't know if painting the siding is in the time or money budget for this year yet, funny how things add up :) Will definitely use a visualizer since I am weak in that area haha

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
1960 Ranch Remodel
We recently moved into a 1960 ranch home in Vestavia...
Red Mountain Media
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™